This chicken taco soup gives you all the flavor of a taco in a quick and easy soup! Chicken breast, fresh veggies, and warming spices all come together to make a filling meal that only takes around thirty minutes to make.
A Healthy Weeknight Meal: Quick and Easy Chicken Taco Soup
It’s my opinion that we need all the easy weeknight dinners we can get and this easy chicken taco soup is a recipe that you need in your life, ok?
It is simple, quick (I’m talking thirty minutes of simmering and you’re done!), and absolutely packed with flavor from spices, garlic, and fresh veggies.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
I love tacos, but let’s be honest, they are not always the easiest thing to pack for lunch the next day. Thankfully, this soup is a great way to get your taco fix for lunch. It is perfect for meal prep and you’ll love the leftovers.What Ingredients Do You Need for Taco Soup?
While simple and easy, this chicken taco soup is packed with flavor thanks to a few key spices and herbs.
Chicken Taco Soup Ingredients
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast: if you prefer you could use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead.
Veggies: this recipe uses a combination of red and green bell peppers, onion, fire-roasted tomatoes, and green chilies to pack in all the flavor.
Spices: you’ll need dried oregano, chipotle powder, paprika, and cumin to spice the soup.
Garlic: if you can, try to use fresh garlic for the most flavor!
Chicken Broth: I always reach for a low-sodium chicken broth so that I can better control the salt level in the soup.
Black Beans: these add a bit of extra protein and make the soup even more hearty.
Frozen Corn: you’ll add a bit fresh or frozen sweet corn at the end right before serving.
Lime Juice: a bit of fresh lime juice helps to add even more delicious flavor to this soup.
- Use a different cut of meat – Swap the boneless skinless chicken breast for boneless skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Make it vegetarian – leave out the chicken breast altogether and add an extra can of black beans or kidney beans to the soup instead.
- Broth – if you need to make a plant-based version of this soup you can easily use vegetable broth instead of chicken.
- Add extra veggies – this soup is so easy to customize! have some extra veggies you need to use? add them in! Diced carrot, mushrooms, or zucchini would all be great options!
- Leave out the beans – not a big fan of black beans? you can swap them for kidney or pinto beans or just leave them out altogether for a beanless version of this soup.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Chicken Taco Soup
Step One: Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the avocado or coconut oil. Next, add the diced peppers, onion, and minced garlic to the pot. Saute for 3-4 minutes until the onions start to become translucent.
Step Two: Add the chicken breast, canned tomatoes, canned green chilies, spices, lime juice, and chicken broth to the pot. Stir until well combined. Bring the soup to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow the soup to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Step Three: Remove the chicken breast from the soup and transfer to a plate. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
Step Four: Add the shredded chicken back to the soup along with the corn and stir until well combined. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes until the corn is heated through.
Step Five: Serve the soup with all your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Can You Make This Soup in the Crockpot?
Yes! This chicken taco soup recipe is a great one to make in your slow cooker.
Step One: Add everything, except the corn, to your slow cooker base and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until the chicken is tender and ready to shred.
Step Two: Once the chicken is done, remove it from the slow cooker, shred and set aside.
Step Three: Add the corn and to the soup and let it continue to cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
Step Four: Add the shredded chicken back to the soup and stir until well combined. Serve and enjoy!
The Best Toppings for Taco Soup
The topping ideas for this soup are really endless! You can really top the taco soup with whatever toppings you would use on your regular tacos.
Favorite Taco Soup Topping Ideas:
- Green onion
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Lime wedges or slices
How to Store and Freeze
You can store this soup in the fridge for 3-5 days in an air-tight container. You can also freeze this chicken taco soup! Just let it come to a complete cool and then transfer to a freezer safe container. You can store the soup in the freezer for up to three months.
More Delicious Soup Recipes to Love
- black bean soup
- Easy Turkey Taco Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Healthy Chicken Soup
- Healthy Italian Wedding Soup
- Southwest Chicken Chili
- Whole30 Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Sheet Pan Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili
Get all of our best healthy soup recipes, here!
I hope you give this Chicken Taco Soup a try! It’s so easy to make and delicious! If you do give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews and ratings help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you trust and love.Print
Chicken Taco Soup
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado or coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 – 15oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 – 15oz can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 – 4.5 oz cans green chilies
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 32 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- sour cream or Greek yogurt, for serving
- diced red onion, for serving
- lime wedges, for serving
- shredded cheddar, for serving
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the avocado or coconut oil. Next, add the diced peppers, onion, and minced garlic to the pot. Saute for 3-4 minutes until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add the chicken breast, canned tomatoes, black beans, canned green chilies, spices, lime juice, and chicken broth to the pot. Stir until well combined. Bring the soup to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Allow the soup to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken breast from the soup and transfer to a plate. Use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add the shredded chicken back to the soup along with the corn and stir until well combined. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes until the corn is heated through.
- Serve the soup with all your favorite toppings and enjoy!
healthy taco soup, taco soup, chicken taco soup