This Baked Chicken Parmesan is a healthier and delicious version of the classic that can easily be made for a quick weeknight dinner. This baked versions is still cozy, comforting, and so satisfying.
Delicious (and easy!) Baked Chicken Parmesan
Say hello to my (and your!) new favorite recipe! Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite recipes and if it’s on the menu at an Italian restaurant then I’m probably going to go for it. While I love it, I’m often wanting a simpler version this recipe to make at home and this is it.
This version of chicken parmesan is a bit lighter than the traditional because it’s oven baked instead of fried but still absolutely delicious. While it may have less oil, this recipe doesn’t skimp on flavor and is still so satisfying.
Not only does it taste great, this baked chicken parmesan recipe is also incredibly easy to make and the clean up is a breeze. It’s the perfect option for a quick weeknight dinner that everyone will love.
Baked Chicken Parmesan Video
Reader Favorite Chicken Recipes
- French Onion Chicken
- Pesto Chicken Salad
- Chicken Pesto Meatballs
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Crispy Buffalo Ranch Chicken Salad
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Cutlets: To save time, this recipe uses chicken cutlets. Chicken cutlets are chicken breasts that have been sliced in half. The thinner breasts cook quickly and more evenly, making them perfect for this recipe.
Eggs: You’ll dip the chicken breast in whisked eggs first to help the breadcrumb coating stick.
Panko Breadcrumbs: To help make the chicken parmesan crispy without frying we’re using Panko Breadcrumbs in this recipe. They are crispy, light, and give the chicken the perfect crunchy coating.
Grated Parmesan Cheese: A little grated parmesan cheese is added to the breadcrumbs to give the coating more flavor.
Seasoning: Apeaking of flavor, the key to this delicious chicken parmesan is making sure that breadcrumbs are properly seasoned. You’ll need a combination of seasonings and spices like Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Marinara Sauce: Any marinara sauce will work for this recipe. Just pick your favorite!
Mozzarella Cheese: Each piece of chicken is topped with a generous amount of fresh mozzarella cheese. You’ll want to grab a ball of mozzarella that you can slice for the best results.
Fresh Parsley and Basil: You can’t have truly delicious chicken parmesan without plenty of fresh parsley and basil.
chicken cutlets – if you can’t find chicken cutlets near you then you can use regular chicken breasts. To get them to a thinner more uniform size, first spilt the breasts in half lengthwise. Then pound them with with a meat mallet or rolling pin until around 1/4 inch thick.
Panko breadcrumbs – if you can’t find Panko Breadcrumbs then substitute them for Italian breadcrumbs instead. If you need to keep this recipe gluten free then you can swap the breadcrumbs for your favorite gluten free brand instead.
mozzarella cheese – need to keep this recipe dairy free? swap the mozzarella cheese for your favorite vegan version.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make This Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
Step One: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Step Two: Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and give it a generous spray or drizzle of avocado oil.
Step Three: Crack the eggs into a shallow dish and whisk until well combined.
Step Four: Add the panic breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper to another shallow dish. Stir until well combined.
Step Five: Dip the chicken cutlets into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture, being sure to coat both sides well. You can use your fingers to press the breadcrumbs into the chicken a bit.
Step Six: Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet and then bake at 425 for 15 minutes or the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees.
Step Seven: Remove the chicken from the oven and top each piece with 1/4 cup of marinara sauce and slices of mozzarella cheese.
Step Eight: Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. You can set the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes to help the cheese brown. Top with fresh chopped parsley and basil, and serve with pasta and additional marinara sauce.
What to Serve with Chicken Parmesan
The classic way to serve the chicken parmesan is with a simple combination of your cooked spaghetti, marinara sauce, and a bit more grated Parmesan on top. If you’re looking for a few more options, here are my favorite sides to pair your baked chicken parmesan with:
- oven roasted cauliflower
- Italian chopped salad
- creamy garlic mashed potatoes
- roasted broccoli
- pesto orzo pasta salad
- crispy smashed potatoes
How to Store and Reheat
You can store any leftover baked chicken parmesan in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. The texture of the breading will change and become less crispy as it sits. The best way to reheat chicken parmesan is in the oven. Place the chicken cutlets on a sheet pan in the oven at 375 degrees until the chicken is warmed through.
More Delicious Recipes
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Healthy Baked Ziti
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Sausage and Broccoli Pasta
- Italian White Bean and Sausage Soup
I hope you give this Baked Chicken Parmesan a try! It’s easy to make, full of flavor, and perfect for a filling and easy dinner!
Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews and ratings help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you trust and love.Print
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: italian inspired
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets (4 cutlets)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1–2 cups marinara sauce, plus more if desired
- 6–8 oz mozzarella cheese ball, sliced
- avocado oil or avocado oil spray
- fresh parsley and basil, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and give it a generous spray or drizzle of avocado oil.
- Crack the eggs into a shallow dish and whisk until well combined.
- Add the panic breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper to another shallow dish. Stir until well combined.
- Dip the chicken cutlets into the egg mixture and then into the breadcrumb mixture, being sure to coat both sides well. You can use your fingers to press the breadcrumbs into the chicken a bit.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet and then bake at 425 for 15 minutes or the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and top each piece with 1/4 cup of marinara sauce and slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. You can set the oven to broil for 1-2 minutes to help the cheese brown. Top with fresh chopped parsley and basil, and serve with pasta and additional marinara sauce.
baked chicken parmesan, baked chicken parmesan recipe, chicken parmesan baked
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA