This hearty, delicious, and easy lasagna soup is the perfect recipe to make when you’re craving lasagna but don’t want to do all of the work. Made with just a few simple ingredients and topped with a dollop of perfect cheesy goodness, this is a soup that the entire family will love!
One of my favorite things in life is my husband’s lasagna and that’s for two reasons. One, because it’s absolutely delicious and two, because I never have to make, haha.
Here’s the thing about lasagna, while I LOVE it, I rarely, if ever, feel like spending the time to make a pan full of lasagna. The remedy for that? Lasagna soup!
Watch How to Make This Recipe
This hearty and delicious lasagna soup gives you all the flavor of lasagna with the ease of a soup. You still get all of the cheesy goodness, tender noodles, and hearty meat sauce that you love in a lasagna but in soup form. It’s perfection!
Simple Lasagna Soup Ingredients
Ground Beef & Italian Sausage: for that delicious classic lasagna flavor, this recipe uses a combination of lean ground beef and Italian sausage.
Garlic and Onion: to help build that delicious flavor base, this soup uses plenty of onion and freshly minced garlic.
Spices: a combination of Italian seasoning, bay leaves, and red pepper flakes all help to give the soup that lasagna flavor.
Tomatoes: this soup uses crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, and a little tomato paste.
Chicken Broth: I like to use low-sodium chicken broth so that I can better control the level of salt in the soup.
Zucchini: for some extra veggies, you’ll add some sliced zucchini to the soup and let it simmer for a few minutes before serving.
Lasagna Noodles: you can’t have lasagna soup without lasagna noodles right? You’ll break them up a bit before cooking to make them more manageable.
Basil: plenty of fresh basil really helps to bring the soup flavor alive.
Cheeses: for that classic cheesy goodness, the soup is topped with a combination of parmesan, ricotta, and mozzarella with plenty of fresh herbs and a little lemon juice to brighten it up!
Ingredient Swaps and Substitutions
- ground beef & Italian sausage – if you prefer you can swap the ground beef and Italian sausage for ground turkey to keep this soup even more lean. You can also use a combination of ground turkey and Italian sausage or just all Italian sausage if you like. Another great option is to use a ground chicken or turkey Italian sausage instead of pork. If you need a vegetarian option you could easily use your favorite plant-based ground sausage or ground beef.
- lasagna noodles – when it comes to the pasta in this recipe you have so many options! you can keep it more traditional and use the broken lasagna noodles, or go with a smaller variety of pasta like Campanella, farfalle, Mafalda, or even penne. If you need to keep the soup gluten free, you can use your favorite gluten free noodles in this recipe!
- broth – don’t have chicken broth? Beef broth or vegetable broth will also work.
- veggies – this is a great and very forgiving recipe to add extra vegetables to. Any veggie that would sound good in your lasagna will likely work well in this soup. A few of my favorites are spinach, bell peppers, and mushrooms. More sturdy veggies like peppers and mushrooms can be added while you are cooking the ground meat. Stir in leafy greens like spinach closer to the end of cooking.
- cheese – if you need to keep this soup dairy free you can easily leave off the cheese topping altogether or use your favorite plant-based versions ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses.
How to Make This Healthier Lasagna Soup
Step One: Start by heating a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and then add the ground beef and Italian sausage to the pot. Cook and brown the meat, using a wooden spoon to break it up as it cooks.
Step Two: Once the meat has browned, you can add the diced onion and minced garlic to the pot. Cook everything for a few more minutes until the onion begins to become translucent and the garlic is really fragrant.
Step Three: Next, add the Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes, tomato paste, and stir until well combined. Then, add the crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, and dried bay leaf and stir. Bring the soup to a boil and then cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the soup simmer for twenty to twenty-five minutes.
Step Five: While the soup is simmering, cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions in plenty of salted water. Break the lasagna noodles into smaller pieces before cooking them.
Step Six: You can also make the cheese topping while the soup is simmering! Add the ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses, lemon juice, chopped basil, chopped parsley, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Mix up the cheese until well combined and then give it a taste and adjust the seasoning.
Step Seven: Once the soup has finished simmering, you can add in the sliced zucchini and simmer for a minute or so more until it is tender. The zucchini should be tender but still bright green.
Step Eight: Lastly, finish the soup by stirring in the cooked lasagna noodles and fresh basil. Ladle the soup into bowls and then top with a generous spoonful of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle on additional fresh basil and then serve!
Storage and Reheat Instructions
Store the lasagna soup in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to three to four days. When it’s time to reheat, you can either do so in the microwave or on stove top by letting it simmer on low until heated through.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Soup
- Don’t forget to salt the pasta water with a generous sprinkle of salt to ensure that the lasagna noodles are well seasoned.
- I prefer to add the cheese mixture separately to each bowl right before serving. That way everyone can choose their desired amount or skip it altogether. You can add the cheese mixture to the entire pot of soup but I prefer to add it to each individual bowl instead to avoid any cheese sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Don’t skip the additional fresh basil before serving. It really adds that extra punch of flavor to the soup.
- While I include a recommended amount of salt in the recipe ingredients, feel free to use less or a little more if needed to suite your tastebuds.
- The starch from the pasta may cause the soup to thicken a bit after sitting, so if it becomes too thick you can add a bit of extra broth (just add the amount based on your preference) when reheating to help maintain that soup like consistency.
How to Freeze
This a great soup to freeze and save for a rainy day!
Here are some of my favorite freezer tips:
- Make the noodles fresh – if you plan to make and freeze the soup, I recommend skipping the step to make the noodles. You can make the noodles fresh when you plan to thaw, reheat, and serve the soup.
- Skip freezing the cheese – if using, I recommend making the cheese topping separately and not freezing with the rest of the soup.
- To reheat the soup from frozen – remove it from the freezer and place in the fridge to thaw. When it has thawed completely reheat the soup either on stovetop or in the microwave.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Hearty Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup
Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Healthy Zuppa Toscana Soup
I hope you give this Lasagna Soup a try! It’s delicious, comforting, and a hearty weeknight lunch or dinner.
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1–15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken in half
- 1/4 cup chopped basil (plus more for garnish)
Cheese Topping for Serving
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and then add the ground beef and Italian sausage. Brown the meat, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the meat has browned, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook for a few more minutes until the onion begins to become translucent.
- Next, add the Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste. Stir until well combined.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, and dried bay leaf and stir. Bring the soup to a boil and then cover and reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Cook the Noodles: While the soup is simmering, cook the lasagna noodles. Break the noodles in half before adding them to a large pot of boiling water that has been seasoned with salt. Stir them occasionally to prevent sticking. Once the noodles are al dente, drain them and let the cool a bit. Use a sharp knife to cut the lasagna noodle halves in half again. Set aside.
- Make the Cheese Topping: Add the ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses, lemon juice, chopped basil, chopped parsley, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Mix everything until well combined.
- Once the soup has finished simmering, add the sliced zucchini and simmer for a minute or so more until it is tender. The zucchini should be tender but still bright green.
- Lastly, stir in the cooked lasagna noodles and fresh basil. Ladle the soup into bowls and then top with generous spoonfuls of the cheese mixture and additional fresh basil.
Keywords: lasagna soup, healthy lasagna soup, easy lasagna soup, how to make lasagna soup, can you freeze lasagna soup, what is lasagna soup made of, what to serve with lasagna soup
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA
Leave a comment
this soup is amazing! made it for a dinner party and was very sad there were not enough leftovers for me to enjoy in the next few days. i followed the recipe completely and it came out wonderfully. highly recommend
When I told my husband I was making lasagna soup for dinner, he was so confused as to why I wouldn’t just make lasagna and thought it in a soup form would be gross. I told him to just trust me, and boy did he change his mind after the first bite! 😂
This soup is delicious, simple and so much easier to make than traditional lasagna. The ricotta cheese mix is to die for, and I wish I would have made a double batch. As others mentioned, I used oven ready noodles and put them in about half way through the simmering time. Instead of zucchini, I added mushrooms, peppers spinach – love a recipe where you can add veggies based on what you have on hand! Will definitely be adding this to my cold weather soup rotation.
So yummy!!! The flavors are fantastic and super easy to make. I chose to use 1lb of turkey sausage and oven ready lasagna noodles. Both worked like a gem. Will definitely be making this recipe again.
This was so good! My only changes were using 1lb of Italian sausage and no ground beef and I used broken up mafaldine noodles instead of lasagna noodles. The cheese topping is to die for!
This soup is delicious! I added some mushrooms and used non-dairy ricotta, but other than that made it exactly as instructed. It was a great way to use up leftover lasagna noodles! Next time I might use a bit less meat and different pasta, but will 100% be making it again.
One of my favorites! I come back to this recipe often.
This soup is so delicious! It tastes exactly like lasagna and the cheese mixture is phenomenal! It was very easy to make and delicious with garlic toast!
I’m so happy you loved it, Melissa!
Thai soup was amazing! So flavorful and delicious. I will be making this in repeat for sure. It smelled so good cooking and I can’t wait to have the leftovers tomorrow! Thanks for another great meal!
Just made this tonight- it was delicious! Will definitely make again. Loved how easy to follow the recipe was and how quickly it came together, just as all Ashleas’s recipes do. I added diced carrot and celery with the onion for extra veg.
This soup was SO GOOD! I’ve eaten it for three days in a row now, and can’t get enough. When I was heating up leftovers for lunch my co-worker commented about how good it looked, so now I’ve circulated the link to the recipe around the office too!
Great recipe! Made a few minor changes (parm cheese rinds, extra basil and garlic), and my family loved it!
Another great recipe!! I make ALL of Ashlea’s soup recipes and get excited when a new one shows up. As always, the lasagna soup was super easy to make and packed with flavor. The addition of the zucchini was perfect and a good way to sneak in more veggies.
I like lasagna, but it’s not usually a go-to for me (between being GF, the dish being a bit more labor intensive and heavy, etc) but wow!! This soup is incredible! All the flavor of lasagna- but I think I actually prefer the texture of the soup over the original. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!
I made this for dinner tonight and we loved it!! Simple, quick, and easy very tasty! Plenty leftover, and some in the freezer for later. I will definitely be making this again!
so glad you loved it, Andrea!
Loved this soup! Will for sure be adding into the rotation!!
so glad, Cierra!
Super easy and super delicious! The flavors are great. Next time I make it I will rinse the meat (not a fan of all the grease) and put less basil in the soup at the end.
I have been so excited to make this since it was posted on Instagram but wanted to wait for the weather to cool off a bit. I finally made it tonight and it was such a big hit in my house and way easier than making a lasagna! We will definitely be adding this to our review rotation!
This lasagna soup is so hearty and delicious! The instructions were easy to follow and, therefore, the soup was easy to make. It will definitely be in rotation this fall and winter.
Talk about hearty and delicious!! Made this for a family friend and they were RAVING about it. All the yumminess of lasagna, yet so much easier!
Amazing soup! Such a great way to have lasagna without a whole tray of it! Perfect for my lunches too!
Wow, this recipe tastes amazing! I do not have a big enough pot for all this food so I had to cook my veggies separately and add them later, but it came out amazingly! I did add bell pepper, carrots, and spinach, aside from zucchini, just to give us more veggies and wow! I encourage everyone to give it a try. The recipe was very easy to follow and we have already had this for dinner 3 times! I might make this soup instead of lasagna from now on!
I forgot to add my star rating to my above comment – 5 stars!!!
My whole family LOVED this soup. The cheese topping took it to a whole new level! I love your recipes and always have a couple in rotation for the week. This is definitely a keeper.
I LOVE this recipe!! So easy and delicious. I am vegetarian so I did make a few changes…I used plant based ground meat and swapped vegetable broth for the chicken broth. Turned out amazing! Definitely adding this to my weekly meals.
so glad you made it work for you, Tessa!
This recipe was delicious and came together very easy. A hearty, delicious, soup that is perfect for fall. The instructions are easy to follow and I will absolutely be making it again!
I’m so happy you loved it Virginia!
Amazing! This recipe is easy to follow and the soup tastes wonderful! It’s not cooling down in California yet but I’m pretending it is by making soups! This is a great soup and I can’t wait to make it again!
This soup is delicious!
so happy you loved it!
Can I substitute the ricotta cheese for cottage cheese instead?
Hi, Paige! I haven’t tried that but if that’s a usual sub that you use for ricotta I’m sure it will work here as well!