This delicious Chicken Enchilada Soup recipe has it all. Tender chicken, hearty beans, plenty of veggies, and a flavorful broth all come together in an easy to make soup!
Easy and Delicious Chicken Enchilada Soup
This cozy and comforting enchilada soup is going to be one of your new favorite soups. It’s so easy to make and packed with all the delicious flavor of enchiladas in soup form.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
If you love my green chicken enchilada casserole or chicken enchilada skillet recipes then you will love this soup. In just around 30 minutes you’ll have a hearty delicious meal that the entire family will love!
Veggies and Aromatics: a combination of onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomatoes, and green chilies help to give this soup a great base of flavor.
Beans: we’re using two different types of beans in this soup – both black beans and kidney beans. Feel free two cans of either beans instead of one of each if you prefer.
Chicken: you’ll need around one and a half pounds of chicken breast for this soup. If you like you could use chicken thighs instead.
Enchilada Sauce: we’re using red enchilada sauce to give the soup it’s delicious enchilada flavor.
Spices and Seasoning: because the enchilada sauce is so flavorful dried oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper are all you need!
Chicken Broth: I like to use low-sodium chicken broth to better control the amount of salt in the soup.
Coconut Milk: trust me, this does not give the soup a coconut flavor so just give it a try! if you have a coconut allergy you can swap it for whole milk or half and half.
Arrowroot Starch: we’ll use this grain free starch to thicken the soup a bit. If you do not have arrowroot you can swap it for corn starch.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup
Step One: First, start by heating a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once your pot is hot, add the olive oil, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion becomes translucent.
Step Two: Next, add the oregano and cumin and sauté for another minute until fragrant. Then, you’ll add the chicken breast, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, green chilies, red enchilada sauce, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Stir everything together until well combined and then bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and the cover.
Step Three: Cook the soup for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken breast is cooked through. Next, you’ll remove the chicken from the pot, shred the meat, and set aside while you finish the rest of the soup.
Step Four: Now, it’s time to thicken the soup. Whisk together the coconut milk and arrowroot starch until well combined. Pour the coconut milk mixture into the soup then add the shredded chicken, and corn. Stir until everything is well combined and let the soup continue to simmer for a few more minutes until it has thickened slightly and everything is nice and hot.
Step Five: Serve the soup in bowls with all your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Can You Make This Soup in the Slow Cooker?
Yes! You can easily make this soup in the slow cooker!
- Add all of the ingredients, except the corn, coconut milk, and arrowroot starch, to the base of your slow cooker. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or until the chicken breast is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken breast from the slow cooker and shred the meat. Whisk together the arrowroot starch and coconut milk.
- Add the shredded chicken, coconut milk mixture, and corn to the slow cooker. Allow the soup to continue to cook for 15 minutes until everything is heated through and slightly thickened.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Serve
Honestly, one of the best things about this soup is the toppings! You can top the soup just like you would your favorite enchiladas. Here are a few of my favorite topping ideas:
- lime wedges, zest, and a squeeze of juice
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- diced red onion or green onion
- crushed tortilla chips
More Reader Favorite Soup Recipes
Easy Lasagna Soup
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Mom’s Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup
Red Curry Chicken Soup
Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Easy Turkey Taco Soup
I hope you give this Chicken Enchilada Soup a try! It’s hearty and so delicious!
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast
- 1 – 14.5oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 14.5oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 – 4oz can green chilies
- 15 oz red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1 cup corn
- cilantro, for serving
- lime wedges, for serving
- shredded white cheddar, for serving
- Greek yogurt / sour cream, for serving
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the oregano and cumin and sauté for 1 more minute until fragrant. Add the chicken breast, black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, green chilies, red enchilada sauce, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and use two forks to shred the meat.
- Whisk together the coconut milk and arrowroot starch. Stir the coconut milk mixture, shredded chicken, and corn into the soup and stir until well combined. Let the soup simmer for a five more minutes until it has thickened a bit and the corn is heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with shredded cheddar, sour cream/Greek yogurt, and chopped cilantro.
- Slow Cooker instructions can be found in blog post.
Keywords: chicken enchilada soup, slow cooker chicken enchilada soup, chicken enchilada soup recipe, how to make chicken enchilada soup
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA