The best healthy and easy sheet pan chicken fajitas! All you need are a few simple ingredients, like veggies and spices, to whip up a hearty dinner that is sure to become a family favorite.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
Sheet pan and one skillet meals are a reader favorite around here and for good reason. When it comes to easy dinner options it does not get much better than a meal that comes together entirely on one sheet pan or in one skillet.
These healthy and easy sheet pan chicken fajitas are an absolutely delicious sheet pan recipe that will only take you thirty minutes to make. You can prepare the chicken fajitas in advance, serve them multiple ways depending on what you have on hand, and even add extra veggies to make the dish more hearty.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Ingredients
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: I like using quick cooking thinly sliced chicken breast for this recipe. It takes on the flavor of the spices perfectly and remains tender even after cooking.
Bell Peppers & Onions: The classic fajita veggie combo. Use any color bell peppers you have or prefer!
Oil: Any liquid oil will work here. A few great options are avocado oil, olive oil, or melted coconut oil. Just use whatever you have on hand.
Lime Juice: Adds brightness and a great citrus flavor to the chicken and veggies.
Dried Herbs and Spices: This recipe uses a combination of different dried herbs and spices to achieve that chicken fajita flavor that we know and love.
- Sheet pan
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
- Mixing bowl
How To Make
Step One: Slice the chicken breast, bell peppers, and onion into thin strips and then add them to a mixing bowl.
Step Two: Add the oil, lime juice, dried herbs, spices, and salt to the chicken and vegetables in the mixing bowl. Stir until well combined and the chicken and veggies are completely coated in the marinade. Cover the chicken and veggies and place the bowl in the fridge to marinade. For the best results, let everything marinade for at least 20 minutes to an hour.
Step Four: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Once the oven is preheated, pour the chicken, veggies, along with the marinade, onto the sheet pan. Spread everything into an even layer on the sheet pan.
Step Five: Bake the chicken fajitas for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked through. If you have a larger piece of chicken, test that to ensure that the chicken is completely cooked. If you want a little crispy char on the chicken and veggies, you can broil the fajitas on high for three to four minutes.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Fajitas
- Cut the chicken into pieces that are around the same size so that it cooks evenly. Cutting the chicken into similar sized pieces will ensure that some pieces are not undercooked while others are overcooked.
- Do not slice the peppers and onions too thin. You want them to hold up in the oven and still be slightly crisp after cooking.
- Toss the chicken and veggies halfway through to ensure that everything cooks evenly.
- Finish the chicken fajitas with a squeeze of lime juice and fresh cilantro after they come out of the oven for even more flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to line the sheet pan?
Nope! The oil in the marinade will ensure that the chicken and vegetables do not stick and slide right off. Of course, if you want to make cleaning up even easier, you can line your sheet pan with parchment paper.
How do I control the spice level?
This recipe calls for an optional addition of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Both of these will add a little kick to your chicken fajitas. If you do not like spice, feel free to leave out the cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. If you like more spice, do not hesitate to add a little more depending on your tolerance level.
Can I add extra veggies?
Bell peppers and onions are the traditional fajita veggies. If you would like to, you can also add in other quick cooking vegetables like zucchini, yellow squash, or mushrooms.
You can also add heartier vegetables to your sheet pan like broccoli. Just know that you may need to adjust your cooking time depending on how long the extra veggies take to cook.
Not only are these chicken fajitas easy, they are incredibly versatile when it comes to serving. The obvious option is to serve the chicken fajitas with your favorite tortillas.
If you are avoiding grains for any reason you could also serve these in your favorite grain free tortillas or large romaine or butter lettuce cups with all the toppings.
Here are a few great topping options:
- Fresh tomatoes
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Avocado slices
- Chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheddar cheese
If you do not want to go the traditional route, you can also turn the fajitas into chicken fajita veggie bowls. To serve them this way, place the fajitas over your favorite mixed greens and then pile on all of the toppings.
Meal Prepping and Storing
If you want to prep this recipe in advance there are a few great options that you can choose from that will help to make your life a little easier.
- Option One: Make the marinade in advance. Prep your marinade in advance and then store in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
- Option Two: Marinade the chicken and veggies overnight. Slice and prep the chicken and veggies the night before so you can just pour everything onto the sheet pan the next day.
- Option Three: Make the chicken fajitas in advance. If you just want to reheat and eat during the week, feel free to make the chicken fajitas in advance and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
What Is The Best Way To Reheat?
I have found that the best way to reheat these chicken fajitas is in a skillet. Just a few minutes in a hot skillet will ensure that both the chicken and veggies are evenly heated through and ready to cook.
Of course, you can always reheat your fajitas in the microwave. Just be careful not to leave them in there for too long.
More Recipe Ideas You Will Love
Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
Delicious Mexican Street Corn Salad
How to Make Easy Quick Pickled onions
Salmon Burrito Bowls
Roasted Chipotle Cauliflower Tacos
Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Salmon with Avocado Salsa
Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef Burrito Bowls
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 3 bell peppers (orange, green, and red), thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup avocado, olive oil, or melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cilantro, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Add the chicken breast, bell peppers, and onion to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil, lime juice, dried herbs, spices, and salt to the chicken and vegetables in the mixing bowl. Stir until well combined and the chicken and veggies are completely coated in the marinade.
- Cover the chicken and veggies and place the bowl in the fridge to marinate for 20 minutes to an hour.
- After the chicken and veggies have marinated, pour them onto the sheet pan. Use your tongs to spread the chicken and vegetables into an even layer on the sheet pan.
- Bake the chicken fajitas for 15-18 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. If you would like, you can broil the fajitas on high for three to four minutes to brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Keywords: Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas, Chicken Fajitas, Sheet Pan
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA