This healthy Turkey Taco Soup is packed with lean protein, fresh veggies, and plenty of flavorful spices. It’s incredibly easy to make and the perfect recipe to make for a quick weeknight meal.
I mean can you even have too many soup recipes? I think NOT. Soup season is all year round at my house (even if my husband objects) and this healthy turkey taco soup is one of my new favorites.
This soup is what would happen if turkey chili and taco soup had a baby and it’s so GOOD. It’s packed with lean protein, plenty of fresh veggies, and comes together quickly. It’s my kind of weeknight meal.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
It’s also incredibly versatile which means you can easily make it with whatever protein and veggies you have on hand. Top it with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt for the most satisfying lunch or dinner.
The Main Ingredients
Ground Turkey: this soup is packed with protein thanks to lean ground turkey. Feel free to use either ground turkey breasts or thighs.
Veggies: you’ll need a combination of diced onion, minced garlic, bell pepper, green chilies, and sweet corn.
Spices: to get that delicious taco flavor, there’s a variety of spices including chipotle powder, cumin, and more.
Tomatoes: we’re using both diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
Black Beans: for an extra punch of protein and to make to sure this soup is nice and hearty the recipe calls for a can of black beans. I like to drain and rinse the black beans before using.
Lime Juice: a little extra acid helps to really bring out all of the flavor in the soup.
Chicken Broth: I like to use low-sodium broth so that I can control the salt level in the soup.
Ingredient Swaps and Additions
- Ground Turkey – feel free to swap the ground turkey for whatever ground meat you prefer. Ground chicken or ground beef would be great in this recipe. You can also use your favorite plant-based ground meat if you like.
- Black Beans – don’t have black beans? no problem! you can easily substitute them with kidney beans or cannelini beans.
- Veggies – I love adding a few extra diced veggies to this soup. Diced zucchini, chopped spinach, mushrooms, or even an extra diced bell pepper would all be great ideas.
- Broth – if you need to make a plant-based version of this soup you can easily use vegetable broth instead of chicken.
How to Make Healthy Turkey Taco Soup
Step One: Start by heating a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
Step Two: Once your pot is hot, pour in the olive oil and then add the ground turkey. Brown the ground turkey, breaking it up as it cooks.
Step Three: Once the turkey has browned, add the diced onion, diced bell pepper, and minced garlic to the pot. Cook everything for three to four minutes until the onions and peppers start to become tender.
Step Four: Next, add the salt, seasonings, and tomato paste to the pot and stir until well combined.
Step Five: Lastly, add the canned tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, lime juice, chicken broth, and bay leaf. Stir until all of the ingredients are well combined and then bring the soup to a boil.
Step Six: Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and let the soup simmer for around twenty minutes.
Step Seven: After the soup has simmered, add in the frozen corn and simmer for another few minutes until the corn is completely heated through. Serve the soup your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Can I Make This Recipe In the Slow Cooker?
Yes, you sure can! This is a perfect recipe to make in the slow cooker. To make this soup in the slow cooker here’s what you need to do:
- Brown the ground turkey with the diced onion, garlic, and bell pepper.
- Pour the ground turkey mixture to the base of your slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the corn, to the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
- Pour in the frozen corn and let the soup continue to cook for another 15 minutes until it is heated through.
- Serve the soup with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
How to Serve and Topping Ideas
Soups like this are one of my favorites because they basically become a vehicle for all of my favorite toppings. When it comes to this soup, the possibilities are endless when it comes to toppings.
Here are a few of my favorite topping ideas:
- extra sharp cheddar cheese
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapeno
- red onion
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- hot sauce or red pepper flakes
Storage and Freezing Info
Storing: you can store this soup in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. I recommend letting the soup come to a cool before transferring it to the fridge.
Freezing: this is a great recipe to freeze! Let the soup come to a complete cool, transfer it to a freezer safe storage bag or container, and then place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Easy Lasagna Soup
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Dairy Free Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Healthy Chicken Soup
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Dairy-Free Tomato Basil Soup
Zuppa Toscana Soup
I hope you give this Healthy Turkey Taco Soup a try! It’s the perfect cozy weeknight dinner.
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 – 15oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 – 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 4oz can green chilies
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen corn
- sour cream or Greek yogurt, for serving
- shredded orange cheddar cheese
- cilantro, for serving
- diced red onion, for serving
- lime wedges, for serving
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat.
- Once the pot is hot, add in the olive oil and then the ground turkey. Brown the ground turkey, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the turkey has browned, add the diced onion, diced bell pepper, and minced garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions and peppers start to become tender.
- Add the salt, seasonings, and tomato paste to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Next, add the canned tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, lime juice, chicken broth, and bay leaf. Stir until well combined and then bring the soup to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for 20-25 minutes covered.
- After the soup has simmered, add in the corn and simmer for another few minutes until the corn is heated through.
- Serve the soup with sour cream, shredded cheddar, and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Keywords: turkey chili taco soup, taco soup with ground turkey, healthy turkey taco soup, turkey taco soup, slow cooker easy turkey taco soup
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA