Delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos made with tender chicken and all your favorite taco toppings! These easy tacos are sure to be your new favorite weeknight dinner!
Why You Will Love These Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- They’re EASY – making the chicken for these tacos could not be easier! just add all of the ingredients to the base of your slow cooker and let everything slow cook to perfection.
- The tacos are incredibly delicious! – with minimal effort you’ll get the most delicious, tender, and moist chicken for perfect tacos!
- Great for meal prep – the shredded chicken reheats quickly in the microwave and will last in the fridge for a few days which makes this a great meal prep recipe!
Chicken Breast: you’ll need two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe
Salsa: grab a jar of your favorite tomato salsa to pour over the chicken
Lime Juice: this adds a bit of delicious lime flavor to the shredded chicken
Spices: a combination of dried spices help to add a ton of flavor in a little bit of time.
Ingredient Substitutions and Questions
- Chicken – if you prefer, feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of breast.
- Salsa – if you’re not a fan of tomato based salsa you could use a salsa verde instead!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tacos in a Slow Cooker (Just 4 Simple Steps!)
Step One: Add the chicken, spices, salsa, and lime juice to the base of a slow cooker.
Step Two: Cook the chicken on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5hours until the chicken is tender and easy to shred.
Step Three: Remove the chicken breast from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the meat to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and keep on warm until you are ready to eat.
Step Four: Assemble the tacos with the shredded chicken (drain a bit of the liquid before adding to the shell) and then your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
My Favorite Topping Ideas
- tortillas – you can go with grain free, flour, or corn
- avocado – fresh slices of avocado are always delicious or make a batch of homemade guacamole
- cilantro – fresh chopped cilantro is always the perfect finished
- diced tomato – make a batch of homemade pico de Gallo or just some simple diced tomato
- diced onion – red onion or white onion would both be delicious
- Cotija – I love the salty bite that crumbled cotija cheese adds to these tacos
- Greek yogurt or sour cream – a dollop of full fat Greek yogurt or sour cream is always a great option on tacos
Other Ways to Serve
One of the things I personally love about this recipe is how easy it is to use the shredded chicken for a variety of different things! Here are a few more ways use the shredded chicken.
Burrito Bowls: make a bed of cilantro lime rice and then pile on the chicken and all of your favorite toppings.
Taco Salads: feeling a salad? serve the shredded chicken on top of chopped romaine or mixed greens.
Lettuce Wraps: instead of tortillas you can use a bit of butter lettuce to serve the shredded chicken as lettuce wraps.
How to Store and Reheat
Store: you can store the shredded chicken in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Reheat: you can quickly reheat this chicken in the microwave for thirty seconds to a minute until heated through.
More Delicious Recipes You’ll Love
shrimp tacos with chipotle cabbage slaw
turkey burrito bowls
roasted chipotle cauliflower tacos
salmon burrito bowls
buffalo cauliflower tacos
sheet pan chicken burrito bowls
I hope you give these Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos a try! They’re a delicious and easy option for lunch or dinner.
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 – 16oz jar red salsa
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- corn tortillas, for serving
- avocado, for serving
- cilantro, for serving
- diced tomato, for serving
- diced red onion, for serving
- Cotija, for serving
- Greek yogurt or sour cream, for serving
- Add the chicken, spices, salsa, and lime juice to the base of a slow cooker.
- Cook the chicken on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5hours until the chicken is tender and easy to shred.
- Remove the chicken breast from the slow cooker and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the meat to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and keep on warm until you are ready to eat.
- Assemble the tacos with the shredded chicken (drain a bit of the liquid before adding to the shell) and then your favorite toppings! Enjoy!
Keywords: slow cooker chicken tacos, slow cooker shredded chicken tacos, how to make shredded chicken tacos in a slow cooker
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA