The best Cilantro Lime Rice (better than Chipotle!) and so easy to make! This simple side dish can easily be paired so many different meals and never disappoints. If you are looking for a delicious staple recipe to keep in your healthy recipe arsenal, this is it!
The Best (Better Than Chipotle!) Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
If you think that the only place you can get perfectly cooked cilantro rice is Chipotle, think again! You can make it from scratch at home with even better results.
This cilantro lime rice is a staple recipe in our home that I make at least once a week. The rice is perfectly fluffy, flavorful, uses simple ingredients, and is incredibly easy to make.
Not only is it delicious, this side dish is very versatile and pairs with so many different dishes. It stores and freezes well and is a great recipe to keep in your back pocket to complete a quick weeknight meal.
All the Ingredients You Need
(full recipe and instructions in the recipe card, below)
Long Grain Rice: My favorite rice to use for this recipe is Jasmine rice, however you can use your favorite long-grain rice of choice. Basmati rice would also be a great choice.
Oil: A little oil adds flavor and gives the rice wonderful texture. Avocado or olive oil will both work well.
Full Fat Coconut Milk: I love adding coconut milk to my rice for the most delicious texture and flavor. Be sure to use full-fat canned coconut milk for this recipe and not the coconut milk that you find in the refrigerated section.
Cilantro: Lots of fresh cilantro adds so much flavor to the rice. Be sure to use both the leaves and stems when you chop it up.
Fresh Lime Juice: The combination of fresh lime juice and cilantro is undefeated. Be sure to use fresh squeezed lime juice for the best flavor.
How to Make Cilantro Lime Rice
(full recipe and instructions in the recipe card, below)
Step One: Add the oil, rice, coconut milk, water, and salt, to a medium non-stick saucepan that has a tight fitting lid. Bring the rice to a boil, cover with the lid, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
Step Two: Cook the rice for 15-20 minutes until all of the liquid has absorbed or according to the instructions on the package.
Step Three: Once the rice has cooked, fluff it with a fork and let cool slightly.
Step Four: Next, add the lime juice, chopped cilantro, and lime zest.
Step Five: Use a fork to continue to fluff the rice until everything is well combined and then give the rice a taste. Adjust the seasoning to your liking and enjoy warm!
How to Store Leftover Rice
Fridge: Once the rice has cooled, transfer it to an air-tight food storage container and store in the fridge for up to five days.
Freezer: One of my favorite things to do is to freeze leftover rice. It makes delicious stir-fried rice and is easy to reheat. To freeze your rice, let it come to a cool, and then transfer it to a freezer safe storage container or freezer bag. Store the rice for up to three months.
- Crispy Pork Carnitas
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Asian Chicken Stir Fry
- Honey Sriracha Salmon
- Healthy Chicken Taco Salad
- Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
- Healthy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
- Sticky Ginger Scallion Meatballs
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Easy Salmon Burrito Bowl
- Crispy Salmon with Avocado Salsa
Tips, Tricks, and Frequently Asked Questions
- Do not skip the step of rinsing your rice. I know it may seem like a pain but it helps to remove excess starch which gives you the fluffiest rice.
- Want a more neutral rice? Feel free to leave out the cilantro and lime juice at the end for a simple flavorful white rice.
- Add even more flavor. Throw in a bay leaf to the rice while it is cooking for even more flavorful rice.
- Want to add more nutrition? If you want to add even more flavor and nutrition to your rice, you can use chicken broth instead of water. The flavor of the rice will change a bit so keep that in mind.
More Delicious Recipes I Know You’ll Love
I hope you give this Cilantro Lime Rice try! It is so easy to make and the perfect side for so many different meals.
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Casey Colodny / THE MINDFUL HAPAPrint
Cilantro Lime Coconut Rice
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican Inspired
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 tablespoons oil (can be avocado or olive)
- 2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- 1 – 13.5 oz can of full fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup lime juice
- Zest of one lime
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- Add the oil, rice, coconut milk, water, and salt, to a medium non-stick saucepan that has a tight fitting lid. Bring the rice to a boil, cover with the lid, and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook the rice for 15-20 minutes until all of the liquid has absorbed or according to the instructions on the package.
- Once the rice has cooked, fluff it with a fork and let cool slightly.
- Next, add the chopped cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest.
- Use a fork to continue to fluff the rice until everything is well combined and then give the rice a taste. Adjust the seasoning to your liking and enjoy warm!
cilantro lime rice, cilantro lime rice recipe, chipotle cilantro lime rice, how to make cilantro lime rice, what goes with cilantro lime rice, cilantro lime coconut rice