Healthy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry is an easy ten minute meal that the whole family will love. Made with fresh and flavorful ingredients this copycat takeout recipe is so simple that you will never want to order takeout again. All you need are a few ingredients to make this healthier version of your favorite dish. Serve it over white rice or cauliflower for a full meal!
Healthy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry For an Easy Weeknight Dinner
Busy jam packed weeks call for simple and easy recipes that do not take a ton of time but are still full of flavor. This healthy beef and broccoli stir-fry is that kind of recipe.
When I was growing up, my family would often order takeout for dinner when my mom didn’t feel like cooking. Beef and broccoli was always one of my favorite dishes so I had to recreate a healthier version.
This quick Asian-inspired meal is my homemade spin on my takeout favorite. Tender beef, fresh broccoli, and the most delicious stir-fry sauce all come together to make healthy stir-fry that the entire family will absolutely love. Plus, it only takes ten minutes!
Not only is this recipe delicious and quick, it is also Whole30 compliant. It’s made with simple real food ingredients that you likely already have on hand.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
More Homemade Takeout Inspired Recipes
- Crispy Orange Tofu
- Healthy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Thai Red Curry Soup
- Whole30 Pepper Steak Stir Fry
- Red Curry Chicken Wings
- Green Curry Chicken and Veggies
- Asian Chicken Stir Fry
Beef and Broccoli Ingredients
Beef: If you want to save time, you can grab a pound of pre-sliced stir-fry steak from your butcher counter.
Fresh Broccoli Florets: You need around four cups of fresh broccoli florets to make this recipe. You can grab pre-chopped florets to save even more time.
Ginger: Fresh ginger gives this dish a delicious flavor. If you do not have fresh ginger, you could substitute one half teaspoon of ground ginger instead.
Garlic: Just like with fresh ginger, fresh garlic works best in this dish.
Coconut Aminos: Coconut aminos are a common soy sauce replacement. They have a slightly sweet flavor. This brand of coconut aminos is my favorite.
Red Pepper Flakes: These add just a little heat to the dish. Feel free to leave them out if you do not like spice.
Sesame Oil: Sesame oil is what helps to give this dish it’s classic flavor.
Arrowroot Starch: Arrowroot starch is a grain free substitute for corn starch. In this recipe it is added to the stir fry sauce to help it thicken a bit.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
The Best Cut of Beef to Use for this Stir Fry
You want to choose a cut of beef that will be tender after quickly cooking. I like to use either flank steak, sirloin, or flat iron steak for this recipe.
All About the Stir Fry Sauce
This delicious stir fry is pulled together with a delicious stir-fry sauce that’s so easy to make. Here’s what you need:
- coconut aminos
- sesame oil
- red pepper flakes
- arrowroot starch
How to Make Easy Broccoli and Beef
Making these beef and broccoli stir fry really couldn’t be easier. All you need is ten minutes from start to finish to whip it up. Here is how you make it!
Step One: First, add the sliced beef, ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl and stir until everything is well combined. Next, it’s time to cook the beef. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, you’ll add the beef, cook until it’s brown, and then remove it from the pan.
Step Two: Next, add the broccoli florets to the pan and add a bit of water to help them steam. After four or five minutes the florets should be bright green, slightly tender, but still have a crispness to them.
Step Three: Now, add the cooked beef back to the pan and toss until well combined. Then, pour in the stir fry sauce and cook for one more minute. The sauce will begin to thicken as it heats up thanks to the arrowroot starch.
Step Four: Remove your skillet from the heat and add in a handful of sliced green onion. Stir until well combined, garnish with sesame seeds, and that’s it!
Tips, Tricks, and Frequently Asked Questions
- Be sure to use coconut aminos and not liquid aminos or soy sauce for this recipe. If you use soy sauce or liquid aminos it will be too salty.
- If you do not have arrowroot starch, you can use cornstarch instead.
- Fresh ginger and garlic work best for this dish, but if you do not have them you can use garlic powder and ginger powder to taste. You could also use pre-minced garlic. One teaspoon of pre-minced garlic usually equates to one clove of garlic.
- You can use frozen broccoli for this recipe if you need to!
How to Serve This Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
This stir fry has the most delicious sauce so serving it over some form of rice is the best way to go! If you don’t want to go with white or brown rice you can use cauliflower rice instead.
How to Store
You can store this stir fry in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. You can reheat quickly in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
More Reader Favorite Steak Recipes
- garlic butter steak bites
- sheet pan steak fajitas
- Philly cheesesteak skillet
- one skillet beef tips with peppers and onions
I hope you give this Healthy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry a try! If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know!
Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.Print
Healthy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: asian inspired
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound steak, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup green onion
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Add the sliced steak, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper, to a mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add a tablespoon of avocado oil and then add in the steak. Cook the steak for 4-5 minutes until browned flipping halfway through. Once cooked, remove the steak from pan and set aside.
- While the steak is cooking, make the stir fry sauce. Add the coconut aminos, sesame oil, red pepper, and arrowroot starch to a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Once the steak has been removed from the pan, add in the broccoli florets and ⅓ cup of water. Cook the broccoli until it is bright green and slightly tender but still has crunch; around 4-5 minutes depending on the size of the broccoli florets.
- Add the steak and any juices back to the skillet and then add the stir fry sauce. Give everything a stir to combine steak, broccoli, and sauce and cook for one more minute. The sauce should thicken a bit as it heats.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sliced green onions. Garnish with sesame seeds and then serve the stir-fry immediately. Eat and enjoy!
healthy beef and broccoli stir fry, beef and broccoli, broccoli beef, beef and broccoli stir fry
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA