This delicious chocolate banana smoothie recipe is filled with almond butter, sweet frozen banana, almond milk, and plenty of cocoa powder. It is perfectly smooth, creamy, and absolutely delicious!
The Best Chocolate Banana Smoothie
A well-balanced smoothie has become one of my go-to choices for a quick breakfast. I love to pack them with seasonal fruit, healthy fats, and sometimes even greens for extra fiber and nutrition.
This creamy chocolate banana smoothie is a delicious blend of frozen banana, chocolate, almond butter, and more. It tastes like a creamy chocolate banana milkshake and is so easy to make!
I know you’ll love this recipe. It’s perfect for a quick breakfast or healthy snack!
Almond Milk: the liquid base of this smoothie is plain almond milk. You can use vanilla almond milk if you prefer.
Frozen Banana: be sure to use a frozen ripe banana for the best flavor.
Cocoa Powder: I like to go with dutch-processed for the best chocolate flavor.
Almond Butter: this adds a little extra healthy fat to the smoothy and a delicious nutty flavor.
Vanilla Extract: for a little delicious vanilla flavor.
Maple Syrup: for a little extra sweetness.
Greek Yogurt: this adds a hit of extra protein to the smoothie.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
high powered blender
Chocolate Banana Smoothie Variations
- Make it sweeter or less sweet – you can always add an additional touch of maple syrup (or honey!) to the smoothie to make it a touch sweeter. If your banana is already plenty sweet you can leave out the sweetener entirely.
- Make it dairy free/ vegan – leave out the Greek Yogurt entirely or swap it for your favorite dairy-free yogurt instead!
- Swap the almond butter for peanut butter – if you like, you can swap the almond butter for peanut butter to get a delicious chocolate peanut butter smoothie!
- Swap the milk – swap the almond milk for coconut milk, oat milk, or even cashew milk if you prefer.
Ways to Customize
This smoothie makes a perfect blank canvas for nutritious mix-ins! This is one of my favorite things to do when it comes to smoothies because it makes them heartier and more fulfilling. Below are a few great additions that I personally love!
- protein powder – this UNFLAVORED WHEY PROTEIN POWDER is my favorite and something I use every day. I always add it to my smoothies when I’m making one to drink as a meal.
- collagen powder – I love adding a scoop of COLLAGEN POWDER for an extra hit of protein to keep me feeling full. This great option to use instead of protein powder.
- ground flax seeds – these FLAXSEEDS are full of health benefits and you cannot even taste them! They contain fiber, protein, and healthy fats!
- chia seeds – I recommend adding just anywhere between a half to one teaspoon or so of CHIA SEEDS they don’t change the texture of the smoothie too much. Be sure to drink it right away or it’ll turn into chia pudding!
- hemp seeds – another seed that I love to add to my smoothies are HEMP SEEDS for all fo the health benefits. I usually add 1/2 a tablespoon.
- oats – I love adding 1/4 cup of OLD-FASHIONED OATS to my smoothies for even more fiber and whole grains. You can’t even taste them!
How to Make a Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Step One: Add the almond milk, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and maple syrup to the base of a high-powered blender.
Step Two: Next, add the frozen banana, almond butter, and Greek yogurt.
Step Three: Blend everything until smooth and creamy. Add a bit more almond milk if needed.
Tips for the Perfect Creamy Smoothie Every Time
- Add the liquid first – add your liquid to the base of the blender first. This helps make the smoothie easier to blend.
- Start slow – start the blender speed on low and then gradually turn it up before bringing it to full speed for the best results.
- Use frozen produce – for this recipe it’s really important that you use a frozen banana to ensure you get that really thick, delicious creamy texture. Otherwise the smoothie will be too watery.
- Ditch the ice – if you typically add a ton of ice to your smoothies it may be tempting to add it to this one but trust me you do not need it. Just use frozen fruit and cauliflower instead to keep things cold and creamy.
More Delicious Smoothie Recipes
The Best Creamy Coffee Smoothie
Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
Banana Cherry Smoothie
Healthy Piña Colada Smoothie
I hope you give this Chocolate Banana Smoothie a try! This makes a quick and easy breakfast or snack that everyone will love! If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know!
Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- Add all of the ingredients to a high powered blender.
- Blend everything until smooth and creamy. Add a bit more almond milk if needed.
Keywords: chocolate banana smoothie, banana chocolate smoothie, how to make a chocolate banana smoothie
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Eat Love Eat