This delicious Piña Colada Smoothie is so easy to make and is inspired by the delicious flavors of the traditional Puerto Rican frozen cocktail. It’s filled with frozen pineapple, creamy coconut, and a secret ingredient to make things nice and creamy. I know you’ll love this refreshing smoothie!
What is a Piña Colada?
The Piña Colada drink originated in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The original recipe is made from a combination of coconut cream, pineapple juice, white rum, and ice.
Why You’ll Love This Fruity Virgin Piña Colada Smoothie
- Full of pineapple flavor – this smoothie is made with a base of delicious frozen pineapple for that juicy tropical flavor.
- It’s so refreshing – the combination of frozen fruit and a splash of juice makes this the perfect refreshing drink.
- Creamy and easy to make – literally just through all the ingredients into a high powered blender for the perfect drink!
Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk: part of the liquid base of this smoothie is canned full fat coconut milk. This helps to give the smoothie that delicious coconut flavor.
Pineapple Juice: for a bit of extra sweetness and delicious pineapple flavor, we’re using a splash of pineapple juice.
Frozen Pineapple: the traditional piña colada is full of pineapple and this smoothie is no different. We’re using frozen pineapple to keep things cold.
Cauliflower Florets: to give the smoothie a creamy texture and to add a little extra fiber we’re using frozen cauliflower florets. No need to freeze your own! just grab a bag of frozen cauliflower from the frozen veggie aisle of your local grocery store.
Greek Yogurt: for a hit of extra protein this recipe use plain whole milk Greek yogurt.
Vanilla Extract: for a little delicious vanilla flavor.
Piña Colada Recipe Variations
- Make it sweeter – you can always add a touch of maple syrup or honey to the smoothie to make it a touch sweeter. Usually pineapple is pretty sweet but if you like things on the sweeter side, go for it!
- Make it dairy free/ vegan – leave out the Greek Yogurt entirely or swap it for your favorite dairy-free yogurt instead!
- Swap the cauliflower for banana – if you don’t have frozen cauliflower, or just don’t prefer to use it, you can swap the cauliflower florets for half a frozen banana instead.
- Swap the milk – swap the coconut milk for almond milk if you prefer. Just know that the coconut milk helps to add to the overall piña colada flavor.
Ways to Customize
This smoothie makes a perfect blank canvas for nutritious mix-ins! This is one of my favorite things to do when it comes to smoothies because it makes them heartier and more fulfilling. Below are a few great additions that I personally love!
- protein powder – this UNFLAVORED WHEY PROTEIN POWDER is my favorite and something I use every day. I always add it to my smoothies when I’m making one to drink as a meal.
- collagen powder – I love adding a scoop of COLLAGEN POWDER for an extra hit of protein to keep me feeling full. This great option to use instead of protein powder.
- ground flax seeds – these FLAXSEEDS are full of health benefits and you cannot even taste them! They contain fiber, protein, and healthy fats!
- chia seeds – I recommend adding just anywhere between a half to one teaspoon or so of CHIA SEEDS they don’t change the texture of the smoothie too much. Be sure to drink it right away or it’ll turn into chia pudding!
- hemp seeds – another seed that I love to add to my smoothies are HEMP SEEDS for all fo the health benefits. I usually add 1/2 a tablespoon.
- oats – I love adding 1/4 cup of OLD-FASHIONED OATS to my smoothies for even more fiber and whole grains. You can’t even taste them!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
high powered blender
How to Make a Piña Colada Smoothie
Step One: Add the coconut milk and pineapple juice to the base of your blender.
Step Two: Next, add the frozen pineapple, frozen cauliflower, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract to the blender.
Step Three: Blend until smooth and creamy!
Tips for the Perfect Creamy smoothie Every Single Time
- Add the liquid first – add your liquid to the base of the blender first. This helps make the smoothie easier to blend.
- Start slow – start the blender speed on low and then gradually turn it up before bringing it to full speed for the best results.
- Use frozen produce – for this recipe it’s really important that both your pineapple and cauliflower are frozen to ensure you get that really thick, delicious creamy texture. Otherwise the smoothie will be too watery.
- Ditch the ice – if you typically add a ton of ice to your smoothies it may be tempting to add it to this one but trust me you do not need it. Just use frozen fruit and cauliflower instead to keep things cold and creamy.
More Delicious Smoothie Recipes to Love
Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
Creamy Peach Smoothie
Strawberry Mango Smoothie
The Best Green Smoothie
Banana Cherry Smoothie
I hope you give this Piña Colada Smoothie a try! This makes a quick and easy breakfast or snack that everyone will love! If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- shredded coconut, for serving
- Add all of the ingredients to a high powered blender.
- Blend everything until smooth and creamy. Add a bit more coconut milk if needed.
Keywords: pina colada smoothie, pina colada smoothie recipe, how to make a Pina colada smoothie, virgin pina colada smoothie
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Eat Love Eat