Homemade gluten free chocolate chip banana bread made with sweet, ripe bananas and plenty of melty pools of chocolate. This delicious quick bread is tender, moist, and comes out perfect every single time.
There is something so comforting about a warm loaf of banana bread fresh out of the oven and this chocolate chip banana bread is one of my favorites. It’s tender, moist, delicious, and most important – easy to make!
While there’s nothing wrong with a gluten-filled slice of banana bread, I know that some people do not tolerate gluten well so this recipe is made entirely gluten free by using an all purpose gluten free flour.
This is a classic recipe, but feel free to get creative and add in your favorite mix-ins like chopped nuts. You can even keep things on the more simple side and leave out the chocolate chips altogether for a plain loaf. Either way, I know you’ll love it!
Reader Favorite Banana Bread Recipes
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Brown Butter Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- One Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
Get all of the best reader favorite banana recipes, here!
The Main Ingredients in Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Gluten Free Flour: to keep this banana bread gluten free, this recipe uses an all purpose gluten free flour. Choose a measure for measure gluten free flour that like King Arthur or Cup 4 Cup.
Banana: spotty brown bananas are the star of the show in this recipe! Banana bread is a great way to use up those ripe bananas sitting on your counter.
Cinnamon: any good banana bread must have plenty of cinnamon, in my personal opinion!
Butter: this is a real deal banana bread so there’s butter involved. If you need a dairy-free option I’ve included some instructions for you, below.
Dark Brown Sugar: the deep, rich flavor of dark brown sugar in this banana bread really makes it delicious. Feel free to sub coconut sugar if you prefer.
Vanilla: to round out the flavor and add that subtle hint of vanilla. Be sure to use pure vanilla extract and not imitation for the best flavor.
Dark Chocolate Chips: plenty of dark chocolate chips stud the banana bread batter so that you can get pools of melty chocolate in every bite.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Step One: Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and prepping a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step Two: To a mixing bowl, add the gluten free flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk all of the dry ingredient together until they are well combined.
Step Three: To a separate mixing bowl, add the melted butter, mashed banana, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk the wet ingredients together until well combined.
Step Four: Carefully fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until well combined.
Step Five: Next, fold in those chocolate chips.
Step Six: Transfer the banana bread batter to a prepared 9×5 loaf pan. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top.
Step Seven: Bake the banana bread at 350 degrees for 50-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Then, slice the bread and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this recipe dairy free?
Yes! If you need to make this recipe dairy free, you easily use coconut oil instead. I recommend using refined coconut oil so that the coconut oil flavor is not too overpowering. You can also use dairy free chocolate chips.
Can I use all purpose flour?
Yes! Feel free to swap the gluten free flour for all purpose flour if you do not have a gluten allergy.
Can I swap the gluten free flour for coconut or almond flour?
No. You cannot swap the gluten free flour one-to-one for coconut or almond flour.
Can I use coconut sugar?
Yes! Feel free to replace the dark brown sugar with coconut sugar in this recipe if you prefer!
Do I have to use dark chocolate chips?
Nope! I love the flavor of dark chocolate but feel free to use semi-sweet or even milk chocolate chips if you prefer.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Loaf
- Use a parchment paper sling – this will make removing the banana bread from the pan simple and easily.
- Add nuts – if you want to add a little extra texture to the banana bread, feel free to add a few handfuls of chopped nuts. Walnuts would be delicious in this bread.
- Make sure your bananas are ripe – this is a must! The more ripe your bananas the more sweet and delicious this banana bread will be.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Storage
You can store your bread on the counter, tightly wrapped, for 3-4 days. If you need it to keep for a bit longer, I recommend storing the bread in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
All About Freezing Your Bread
Yes! You can either freeze the entire loaf of banana bread or slice it before freezing. I recommend slicing the bread before freezing unless you know you are going to de-thaw the banana bread, serve, and eat the entire loaf at one time.
To Freeze: Wrap the sliced banana bread tightly in plastic wrap and place the wrapped bread in a freezer safe storage bag. When you are ready to eat, remove a slice of bread from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter top.
To Reheat: You can eat the banana bread at room temperature, or you can reheat it in the oven on a low temp until heated through.
More Gluten Free Dessert Recipes to Love
I hope you give this Chocolate Chip Banana Bread a try! It’s moist, delicious, and dang good!
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.Print
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Treats
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 3/4 cups gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (roughly 3–4 large bananas)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (plus more for the top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add the gluten free flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to a mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl add the melted butter, mashed banana, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to a prepared 9×5 loaf pan. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake the banana bread at 350 degrees for 50-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan, on a wire rack, before removing it from the pan and slicing.
gluten free chocolate chip banana bread, gluten free banana bread with chocolate chips, best gluten free chocolate chip banana bread
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA