Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread is just a little decadent, made in one bowl, and the perfect way to use up those fresh summer zucchini. This easy bread will only take you a few minutes to whip up and comes out perfect every single time. It is gluten-free, nut-free, and absolutely delicious!
One Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
Is there anything better than a good banana bread? I would have said no but then I added fresh grated zucchini and chocolate chips to the mix, and now this one bowl chocolate chip zucchini banana bread has to be my new favorite thing. It sneaks in green veggies, is made entirely in one bowl, and could not be easier to make.
This bread is definitely a little decadent but so worth it. Eating all the healthy things does not mean you cannot take a moment to enjoy a little brown sugar and real butter every now and then. Living a healthy lifestyle is all about balance and this yummy zucchini bread is perfect to whip up when you’re craving a little banana chocolate chip goodness.
Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Dark Brown Sugar (my all-time favorite brown sugar to use)
- Vanilla Extract
- Melted Butter
- Gluten Free Flour (I love this brand)
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chips (these are my favorite to fold into the batter)
Preparing the Zucchini for This Bread
Once you have grated the zucchini, it is important to remove any excess liquid. Zucchini naturally holds a lot of water. If you do not squeeze out the excess water it will make your bread soggy and hard to cook through. The best way to do this is by placing the grated zucchini in a tea towel (you could also use paper towels) and squeezing until all of the moisture has been removed.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
Step One: Mash those bananas! You want them to be a liquified as possible.
Step Two: Add the melted butter, mashed banana, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and eggs to a mixing bowl. Stir until everything is well combined.
Step Three: Next, add the gluten-free flour, baking soda, and cinnamon to the mixing bowl. Stir until the batter is well mixed.
Step Four: Fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
Step Five: Transfer the batter to a prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle on a few extra chocolate chips, I like to use these mini-chocolate chips for the top, and bake at 350 degrees for sixty to sixty-five minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
Step Six: Let the bread come to a cool in the loaf pan before transferring it to a wire rack to slice.
How to Store Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
You can store your bread on the counter, tightly wrapped, for 3-4 days. If you need it to keep for a bit longer, I recommend storing the bread in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Can I Freeze Zucchini Banana Bread?
Yes! You can either freeze the entire loaf of bread or slice it before freezing. I recommend slicing the bread before freezing unless you know you are going to serve and eat the entire loaf at one time. To freeze the bread, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place the wrapped bread in a freezer safe storage bag. When you are ready to eat, remove a slice of bread, or the entire loaf, from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter top.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- Use overripe bananas for the best results. Overripe bananas are the sweetest, easiest to mash, and the best to use for baking. Let your bananas ripen on the counter until they have plenty of brown spots on them before using.
- I have found that the easiest way to mash bananas is with a potato masher!
- This recipe calls for one teaspoon of cinnamon but feel free to add up to a tablespoon of if you really love the flavor.
- Don’t like chocolate in your breads? Leave out the chocolate chips or replace them with chopped walnuts.
- I like to turn the bread halfway through cooking to ensure that it cooks evenly.
- You can insert a wooden skewer into the center of the bread to check on its doneness. Once it comes out clean the bread should be done.
- To ensure that your bread does not stick, line the loaf pan with parchment paper. This will make it very easy to remove the bread from the loaf once it has cooled.
- I love to reheat heat a slice of zucchini bread in the oven. The bread becomes just a little toasted and delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute almond flour or coconut flour for gluten-free flour?
I have only tested this banana bread recipe with all purpose gluten-free flour. Substituting coconut flour will not work as a 1:1 substitute in this bread.
Can I use coconut oil instead of butter?
Yes! Know that, if you use coconut oil, it will give this bread a strong coconut flavor. If you need to make this bread dairy-free, you could use melted ghee instead of butter.
Do I need to peel the zucchini?
No! There is no need to peel the zucchini before grating it and adding it to the batter.
What Kitchen Tools Do I Need to Make This Recipe?
More Delicious Bread and Muffin Recipes
Gluten Free Brown Butter Banana Bread
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal Cups
The 20 Best Oat Flour Muffin Recipes
Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Oat Muffins
Gluten Free Almond Butter Sweet Potato Muffins
One Bowl Gluten Free Blueberry Banana Muffins
Banana Bread Muffins
Triple Berry Baked Oatmeal Cups
- In a large mixing bowl add the melted butter, mashed banana, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Next, add the gluten free flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to the bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Fold the grated zucchini and chocolate chips into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to a prepared 9×5 loaf pan. If you would like, sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top of the bread.
- Bake the zucchini banana bread at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool before removing it from the pan and onto a wire rack for slicing. Enjoy!
Keywords: gluten free chocolate chip zucchini banana bread, zucchini banana bread, banana bread, zucchini bread, gluten free zucchini bread, gluten free
Leave a comment
I’m a big fan of banana bread and zucchini bread. This recipe is PERFECT! So easy and delicious!
YUM! This bread is a marriage of banana bread and zucchini bread. Perfect level of moisture too!
so glad you enjoyed it, Katie!
This was so delicious and easy! My two-year old ate two slices this morning!
Love love love this recipe, it has become our family favorite. I’ve also shared it with my neighbors. Thank you for this and all the other recipes they really have helped my family eat healthier
You’re so welcome, Hill! I’m so glad this recipe has become a family favorite for you! Thanks for taking the time to leave a review!
this worked so well the first time, I’m making it again today. my family didn’t know it was gluten-free and made with zucchini. the chocolate chips added a little extra sweetness!
I’ve made this twice and it doesn’t not disappoint. Simple and delicious!
Just perfect. Tried it once with zucchini and once with yellow squash. A new favorite for my celiac husband plus all my non-gf family. Thank you!
I am a huge fan of this bread and have made it a couple of times!
This is absolutely FANTASTIC!
I made this last night and it is so good! I used my kitchenaid stand mixer which made everything so easy! Thanks for a delicious treat!
This was so yummy! Thanks!
Thank you, Kim!!
This was so amazing!! I thought my moms recipe for banana bread would never be beat but this did it. It’s so moist and flavorful without being overly sweet. From now on any baked good I have to bring to a function will be this. It’s amazing and so fantastic that it’s GF. Another family favorite, thank you Ashley!!
Thank you so much, Alison! I don’t love overly sweet treats either. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It means so much!
This was delicious! My fiance hates zucchini but loved this bread. I used all-purpose flour instead of gluten-free and had no issues. Will definitely make again!
Yay! so happy you and your fiancé loved it! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review!
This is my new favorite banana/zucchini recipe. The ingredient proportions are SO yummy and it came out so moist and sweet!! Can’t wait to make it again!
So happy ou loved it, Tiara! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review!
Perfect combination! I used Trader Joe’s gluten free flour, it turned out great! Also used almond extract because I didn’t have vanilla. My daughter and husband enjoyed it, they didn’t know it was gluten free.
Once Ashlea posted this, my son and I got to work! This bread was a DELICIOUS treat for our family. I love when there’s a vegetable disguised in a sweet treat! Highly recommend this dessert!
So happy you and your son loved this recipe, Valerie!! thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review – enjoy your bread!