Healthy dark chocolate almond butter cups made with dark chocolate, creamy all-natural almond butter, pure maple syrup, and finished with a touch flaky sea salt. They are incredibly easy to make and the perfect sweet, yet healthier treat to enjoy!
The Perfect Vegan No-Bake Dessert: Healthy Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
Have you ever tried to make your favorite candy or treats at home? Some things like homemade caramel can be a bit tricky, but some of your favorites, like nut butter cups, are a lot easier than you think.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
Recreating your favorite store bought treats at home is a great way to make a healthier version and control the ingredients inside.
These healthy dark chocolate almond butter cups are incredibly easy to whip up and are made with just a few simple real food ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry!
Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cup Ingredients
Dark Chocolate: You can use dark chocolate chips, chunks, or your favorite dark chocolate bar. If you prefer, you could use milk chocolate instead of dark, but just know that the flavor of the cups will be a bit different.
Coconut Oil: This is added to the dark chocolate to help smooth it out a bit and help the chocolate harden once it is frozen.
Creamy Almond Butter: Use a smooth and creamy almond butter for this recipe that has minimal ingredients. Ideally, you want the almond butter to be made from only almonds and maybe a little sea salt.
Maple Syrup: One of the benefits of using a plain almond butter is that you can control the level of sweetness in these almond butter cups. If you want the almond butter cups to have a little bit of sweetness, feel free to add one or two tablespoons of maple syrup to the almond butter mixture.
Vanilla Extract: I love adding a little maybe syrup to the almond butter to give the cups a delicious vanilla flavor.
Flaky Sea Salt: A sprinkle of flaky sea salt on the top of each cup is a must-have! Of course, it’s totally optional but I promise you that it makes a delicious difference.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Almond Butter Cups
Step One: First, add the dark chocolate and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Microwave again for 30 seconds more and then stir. Repeat until the chocolate is fully melted.
Step Two: Next, line a mini muffin tray with muffin liners.
Step Three: Pour around 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate into the bottom of each muffin liner. Place the muffin tin in the fridge or freezer for five to ten minutes to let the chocolate harden.
Step Four: Add the almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a small mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Next, spoon around 1 – 1.5 teaspoons of the almond butter mixture into the center of each cup.
Step Five: Cover the almond butter filling with around ½ tablespoon more of melted chocolate until the filling is completely covered. Sprinkle each cup with a little flaky sea salt and then place in the freezer to harden.
Step Six: Once the almond butter cups have hardened and set, remove them from the liners and enjoy!
How to Store
The best thing about these almond butter cups is that once you make a batch you can easily store them in the fridge or freezer for a sweet treat whenever you want!
Fridge: Store the almond butter cups in an air-tight container in the fridge for weeks.
Freezer: Store the almond butter cups in an an air-tight container in the freezer for up to three months.
Tips and Tricks for these Homemade Nut Butter Cups
- If you want to make larger almond butter cups, feel free to use a regular sized muffin tin and muffin liners.
- Don’t like almond butter? You can use any creamy nut butter for these cups. Peanut butter or cashew butter would be great!
- You can leave out the maple syrup altogether if you would like to make an unsweetened version of these nut butter cups.
More Delicious Healthy Desserts You’ll Love
I hope you give these Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups a try! They are so easy to make and a delicious healthier treat.
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 min
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: american
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 12 oz dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ cup creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Flaky sea salt for topping
- Add the dark chocolate and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute and then stir. Microwave again for 30 seconds more and then stir. Repeat until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Line a mini muffin tray with liners
- Pour around 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate into the bottom of the muffin liners. Place the muffin tin in the fridge or freezer for 5-10 minutes to let the chocolate harden.
- Add the almond butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to a small mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Next, spoon in around 1 – 1.5 teaspoons of almond butter into the center of each cup.
- Cover the almond butter filling with around ½ tablespoon more of melted chocolate until the filling is completely covered. Sprinkle each cup with a little flaky sea salt and place in the freezer to harden.
almond butter cups, dark chocolate almond butter cups, healthy almond butter cups
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Casey Colodny / THE MINDFUL HAPA