This delicious brown butter sweet potato bread is filled with warming spices, brown sugar, and covered in a cream cheese frosting that has been perfectly sweetened with a touch of maple syrup. This cozy loaf is one of a kind and the perfect seasonal or holiday treat.
The Most Delicious Brown Butter Sweet Potato Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
Quick breads are one of my very favorite things because they take no time to make and give you a decadent and delicious result every single time. Whether it’s a brown butter banana bread or cinnamon sugar pumpkin bread, quick breads are easy to make and perfect for a little weekend baking.
When the cool fall weather starts to roll around, this spiced sweet potato bread with maple cream cheese frosting is the perfect choice. Made with sweet potato puree, dark brown sugar, and warming spices like cinnamon, ginger, and allspice, it is absolutely delicious and the epitome of fall. When you spread on a little maple cream cheese frosting, things get even better.
Is Sweet Potato Bread Gluten Free?
Not usually, but this brown butter sweet potato bread is made with gluten free flour to keep the entire loaf gluten free. For the best results, I recommend using a one-to-one gluten free flour, containing xantham gum, that can serve as a direct replacement for all purpose wheat flour.
Sweet Potato Bread Ingredients
- Gluten free flour – this is my favorite brand of gluten free flour that I use in all of my recipes.
- Sweet potato puree – to make things easy, I highly recommend using canned sweet potato puree like this one.
- Dark brown sugar – my preference when baking is usually dark brown sugar because it has a deep rich flavor from the touch of molasses.
- Butter – go for the good stuff with a deep yellow color for the best flavor.
- Eggs – to bind it all together.
- Vanilla extract – to add that delicious vanilla flavor to the bread.
- Spices – this recipes uses a combination of cinnamon, allspice, and ginger to great a well-spiced and delicious loaf.
How to Brown Butter
If you have never made brown butter before, you must! Browning butter a bit, before adding it to the bread, creates a deep rich caramel like flavor that is absolutely delicious. It takes this loaf of sweet potato bread to a different level.
Here are the simple steps to brown butter:
First, add the diced butter to a small skillet or pot.
Next, heat the skillet over medium heat. The butter will start to melt as the skillet heats up.
Then, allow the butter to bubble and “cook” until it begins to change from a bright yellow color to a golden brown color. At this point, you should see some brown bits beginning to form in the bottom of the skillet.
Lastly, remove the butter from the heat and transfer to a heat safe dish to let I cool slightly before adding to the mixing bowl.
How to Make Homemade Sweet Potato Bread
Step One: Brown the butter! Follow the steps above to create delicious brown butter and then set it aside to let it cool for a bit.
Step Two: Next, whisk together the sweet potato puree, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth.
Step Three: Next, add the gluten-free flour, baking soda, and cinnamon, ginger, and allspice to the mixing bowl. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet until well combined.
Step Four: Transfer the sweet potato bread batter to a loaf pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake the bread at 350 degrees for fifty to sixty minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
Step Six: Let the bread cool for a bit in the loaf pan before transferring it to a wire rack.
Step Seven: Once the bread has cooled, spread on the cream cheese frosting. Top with chopped nuts before slicing and serving.
How to Make Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
The addition of a maple cream cheese frosting is an optional addition to this bread but absolutely delicious if you choose to go for it. The cream cheese has just the right amount of tag and the combination of orange juice, maple syrup, and vanilla extract add even more flavor.
Cream cheese – let it come to room temperature before making the frosting for the best results.
Orange juice – just a splash adds the most delicious flavor and pairs perfectly with the sweet potatoes.
Maple syrup – gives the frosting just the right touch of sweetness.
Vanilla extract – a must-have to round out the flavor of the frosting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use almond flour or coconut flour instead of gluten free flour?
No. Almond flour and coconut flour cannot be used as a one-to-one substitute for the gluten free flour in this bread.
Can I use all-purpose flour instead of gluten free flour?
Yes! If you do not have a gluten allergy, feel free to use all purpose flour in this recipe.
Can I use coconut sugar instead of dark brown sugar?
Yes! If you prefer you can replace the dark brown sugar with coconut sugar.
Can I use honey or maple syrup in place of dark brown sugar?
No. Using a liquid sweetener will change the texture of the bread.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Sweet Potato Bread
- I like to turn the bread halfway through cooking to ensure that it cooks evenly.
- You can insert a wooden skewer into the center of the bread to check on its doneness. Once it comes out clean the bread should be done.
- To ensure that your bread does not stick, line the loaf pan with parchment paper. This will make it very easy to remove the bread from the loaf pan once it has cooled.
- When making the cream cheese frosting, whip the cream cheese first before adding the orange juice or other ingredients. This will avoid any lumps in your frosting.
- If you cannot find canned sweet potato puree, feel free to make your own by roasting a few sweet potatoes and mashing or blending in a food processor until smooth.
More Delicious Quick Breads to Love
Gluten Free Pumpkin Banana Bread
Gluten Free Brown Butter Banana Bread
One Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Gluten Free Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Bread
I hope you give this Brown Butter Sweet Potato Bread a try! It’s the perfect spiced loaf and the cream cheese takes it over the top!
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on Instagram. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
Serving This Recipe for Thanksgiving Dinner?
Here are a few more delicious recipes to add to your menu:
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Casey Colodny / THE MINDFUL HAPA
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potato puree
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chopped nuts for the top
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon orange fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Optional: orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- First, start by making the brown butter. Add the diced butter to a small skillet or pot. Heat the skillet to medium heat. The butter will start to melt as the skillet heats up.
- Allow the butter to bubble and “cook” until it begins to change from a bright yellow color to a golden brown color. You will know the butter has “browned” when you see brown bits beginning to form in the bottom of the skillet.
- Remove the butter from the heat and transfer to a heat safe dish to cool while you make the banana bread.
- In a large mixing bowl add the sweet potato puree, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined. Next, add the brown butter and whisk until well mixed.
- Add the gluten free flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt to the bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to a loaf pan that has been well greased or lined with parchment paper. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Bake the bread at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- While the bread is baking make the maple cream cheese frosting. Add the cream cheese to a mixing bowl and use a hand mixer to whip until fluffy. Next, add the maple syrup, orange juice, and vanilla extract to the cream cheese. Whip the cream cheese again until everything is well combined.
- Once the bread has cooled, spread the on the maple cream cheese frosting. Top with chopped nuts, if you like, before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: sweet potato bread, brown butter sweet potato bread, brown butter, sweet potato, maple cream cheese frosting