The best double chocolate banana bread! This delicious bread is moist and tender with the perfect balance of banana and chocolate flavors. Not only does it taste incredible, this banana bread is also gluten free and made with just a few simple ingredients. You’ll love it!
The Best Double Chocolate Banana Bread
We all know and love banana bread but, I have to admit, there is just something special about double chocolate banana bread. It’s like a brownie and banana bread had a baby and I mean…what could be better?!
This delicious and moist double chocolate banana bread is made with a few simple ingredients (you probably already have them all!) and only takes a few minutes to whip up and get in the oven. It’s loaded with cocoa powder and chocolate chips, and it has the perfect balance of sweet but not too sweet.
Enjoy a slice of this homemade bread warm, fresh out of the oven, or make a loaf to freeze and reheat at a later date. It’s perfect as a treat or quick snack. I know you will love this recipe!
What Kitchen Tools Do I Need to Make This Recipe?
Chocolate Banana Bread Ingredients
- Dark Brown Sugar (my all-time favorite brown sugar to use)
- Vanilla Extract
- Melted Butter
- A dash of cinnamon
- Gluten Free Flour (I love this brand)
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda
- Mini Dark Chocolate Chips (these are my favorite to fold into the batter)
How to Make Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Step One: Mash those bananas! You want them to be a liquified as possible.
Step Two: Add the melted butter, mashed banana, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and eggs to a large mixing bowl. Stir until all of the ingredients are well combined.
Step Three: Next, add the gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and cinnamon to the mixing bowl. Stir until everything is well combined and the batter is well mixed.
Step Four: Now, fold in your mini dark chocolate chips. You could also use dark chocolate chunks or regular sized chips if you prefer.
Step Five: Transfer the batter to a loaf pan that has been lined with parchment paper. You can bake the loaf as is or, if you prefer, sprinkle on a few extra chocolate chips. You can also slice a banana in half and press it into the top of the bread, like I have done in the picture below.
Step Six: Bake the banana bread at 350 degrees for sixty to seventy minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Let the bread cool slightly before transferring it to a wire rack to slice.
How to Store Chocolate Banana Bread
You can store your bread on the counter, tightly wrapped, for 3-4 days. If you need it to keep for a bit longer, I recommend storing the bread in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Can I Freeze Banana Bread?
Yes! You can either freeze the entire loaf of bread or slice it before freezing. I recommend slicing the bread before freezing unless you know you are going to serve and eat the entire loaf at one time. To freeze the bread, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place the wrapped bread in a freezer safe storage bag. When you are ready to eat, remove a slice of bread, or the entire loaf, from the freezer and let it thaw on the counter top.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Chocolate Banana Bread
- Use overripe bananas for the best results. Overripe bananas are the sweetest, easiest to mash, and the best to use for baking. Let your bananas ripen on the counter until they have plenty of brown spots on them before using.
- I have found that the easiest way to mash bananas is with a potato masher!
- This recipe calls for half a teaspoon of cinnamon but feel free to add up to a tablespoon of if you really love the flavor.
- Feel free to add in walnuts or other chopped nuts if you like!
- I like to turn the bread halfway through cooking to ensure that it cooks evenly.
- You can insert a wooden skewer into the center of the bread to check on its doneness. Once it comes out clean the bread should be done.
- To ensure that your bread does not stick, line the loaf pan with parchment paper. This will make it very easy to remove the bread from the loaf once it has cooled.
- I love to reheat heat a slice of banana bread in the oven. The bread becomes just a little toasted and delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute almond flour or coconut flour for gluten-free flour?
I have only tested this banana bread recipe with all purpose gluten-free flour. Substituting coconut flour will not work as a 1:1 substitute in this bread.
Can I use coconut oil instead of butter?
Yes! Know that, if you use coconut oil, it will give this bread a strong coconut flavor. If you need to make this bread dairy-free, you could use melted ghee instead of butter.
More Delicious Gluten Free Bread and Muffin Recipes
One Bowl Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Gluten Free Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Bread
GLUTEN FREE BROWN BUTTER BANANA BREAD
HEALTHY BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
GLUTEN FREE BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
PEANUT BUTTER BANANA BAKED OATMEAL CUPS
THE 20 BEST OAT FLOUR MUFFIN RECIPES
HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER BANANA OAT MUFFINS
GLUTEN FREE ALMOND BUTTER SWEET POTATO MUFFINS
ONE BOWL GLUTEN FREE BLUEBERRY BANANA MUFFINS
BANANA BREAD MUFFINS
TRIPLE BERRY BAKED OATMEAL CUPS
I hope you love this double chocolate banana bread! I know it will quickly become a favorite. If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and rate the recipe below so others know how you liked it!
- In a large mixing bowl add the melted butter, mashed banana, dark brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Next, add the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to the bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to a prepared 9×5 loaf pan. If you would like, sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top of the bread or press a sliced banana into the top.
- Bake the banana bread at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool slightly before removing it from the pan and onto a wire rack for slicing. Enjoy!
Keywords: double chocolate banana bread, banana bread, chocolate banana bread, gluten free double chocolate banana bread