Juicy and delicious Avocado Turkey Burgers with a smoky chipotle aioli that everyone will love! These flavorful healthy turkey burger recipe is so easy to make and perfect for a weeknight dinner or backyard bbq!
The Best Juicy Turkey Burgers with Avocado and Chipotle Aioli
If you know me then you know that I love a good burger and crispy fries situation. There’s just something so good about a juicy burger with all the best toppings and the perfect sauce.
While I love beef burgers, I’m also a big fan of leaner burger options made with ground chicken or in this case protein packed (and delicious!) ground turkey. I used to order avocado turkey burgers all of the time at restaurants and this recipe is my version of the classic with a smoky chipotle aioli to take it to the next level.
These burgers are packed with flavor, made with a few simple ingredients, come together fast, and ALWAYS hit the spot around here. If you’ve sworn off turkey burgers then just trust me on this one and give these a try!
More Delicious Ground Turkey Recipes
- Greek Turkey Burgers
- The Best Turkey Meatloaf
- Turkey Sloppy Joes
- Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Turkey Taco Soup
- Turkey Burrito Bowls
- Ground Turkey Shepherd’s Pie
- The Best Turkey Lasagna
Get all of our reader favorite ground turkey recipes!
Juicy Avocado Turkey Burger Recipe Ingredients
Ground Turkey: my preference is to use ground turkey thighs for extra juicy burgers but you are welcome to use leaner ground turkey breast if you prefer.
Spices: these burgers use simple (but flavorful!) combination of dried herbs and spices. The combination of onion powder, dried parsley, paprika, dried dill, dried oregano, salt and pepper give these burgers the best flavor.
Yellow Mustard: one of my favorite ways to get a nice crust on those juicy burgers is to coat one side with a little yellow mustard.
Cheese: for these avocado turkey burgers we’re using sharp white cheddar cheese.
Brioche Buns: I love using brioche buns for burgers! They are soft, chewy, and have the perfect texture when toasted.
Avocado: of course you can’t have an avocado turkey burger without plenty of fresh slices of avocado. The combination of the aioli and avocado is perfect!
Ingredients Swaps and FAQs
- Ground Turkey – swap the ground turkey for ground chicken if you like! you could also use lean ground beef if you prefer.
- Cheese – need to keep these burgers dairy free? You can omit the cheese altogether or use your favorite plant-based cheese instead.
- Buns – feel free to use your favorite burger buns for these juicy burgers! Prefer a bun-less burger? you can easily use large lettuce leaves to make lettuce-wrapped burger instead.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Turkey Avocado Burgers
Step One: Add the ground turkey, spices, and salt to a large mixing bowl.
Step Two: Use your fingers to gently mix everything together being careful not to over mix.
Step Three: Divide the ground turkey mixture into four 5 ounce patties that are around 3/4 inch thick 4 inches wide. Use a basting brush to brush the top of the patties with yellow mustard.
Step Four: Add the mayo, garlic, lime juice, chipotle powder, paprika, and salt to a small mixing bowl. Whisk together until well combined.
Step Five: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and then add the patties, mustard side down. Cook for 5-6 and then flip the burgers and cook for another 5-6 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. While the burgers are cooking toast your buns.
Step Six: When the burgers are fully cooked turn off the heat, add 1 slice of cheese to the top of each patty and cover the pan with a lid to help the cheese melt. The residual heat in the pan should help the cheese melt.
Step Seven: Remove the patties from the pan and topped them with slices of fresh avocado. Next, spread the chipotle aioli on the buns. Assemble the avocado turkey burgers with the rest of your favorite toppings. Serve and enjoy!
Aioli for Turkey Burgers
One of the best parts of these burgers is the smoky chipotle lime aioli! The aioli sauce pairs perfectly with the turkey burgers and just adds a little extra goodness to each bite.
Here’s what you need:
- Fresh garlic
- Lime juice
- Chipotle powder
My Favorite Burger Toppings
Burger toppings are all about personal preference, am I right? Personally, in addition to the avocado, I love a good tomato, plenty of pickles, and onion. Here are a few more of my favorite burger topping options if you need some inspiration!
- thinly sliced red onion
- pickled red onion
- sautéed mushrooms
- grilled sliced jalapeno peppers
Tips and Tricks for the Best Burgers
- Use your hands to mix the burgers and prevent over mixing. Wet your fingers to help the meat mixture from sticking to your hands.
- Place the patties on wax or parchment paper to avoid them sticking to your plate or each other. This makes removing them from the plate to cook much easier.
- Avoid pressing the burgers down in the skillet or on the grill while they are cooking. This will ensure you get super juicy delicious burgers every time.
- Use a meat thermometer to cook the burgers perfectly and prevent over or under cooking them.
- You can easily prep the chipotle aioli a few days in advance to save a bit of time on burger night!
- If you like, you can lightly season your sliced avocado with a bit of salt and pepper before adding it to your burger.
- Toast those buns! don’t forget to toast your burger buns a bit before assembling your burgers. If you like you can brush a little melted butter on them for extra flavor!
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Does it Take to Grill Turkey Burgers?
You can definitely make these burgers on the grill if you prefer. I usually grill them over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Start the burgers mustard side down and be sure your grill is oiled a bit to prevent sticking.
Can You Make These Burgers in the Oven?
Yes! Just form the patties and bake the turkey burgers on a greased baking sheet (mustard side down) at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165.
Can You Freeze Turkey Burgers?
Yes! I often prep a double batch of the burger patties and freeze them before cooking so that I have a quick and easy dinner or lunch option. Freeze the patties without the mustard.
You can freeze the patties individually or use sheets of parchment paper to separate two or three patties that have been stack on top of each other. Using the parchment paper sheets ensures that the patties don’t turn into one giant hunk of ground turkey.
To cook: Remove a few patties from the freezer and let them thaw in the fridge. Once the patties have thawed, brush them with mustard and then cook as directed.
Can You Prep and Cook the Burgers Ahead of Time?
Sure! You can make the ground turkey mixture and form the patties up to a day in advance. I would recommend adding the yellow mustard right before cooking. Store the burger patties, tightly covered in the fridge until ready to cook.
You can also easily cook the burgers and then reheat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute until warmed through. If you do plan to reheat the burgers, I recommend holding off on adding the cheese and avocado until right before serving.
More Delicious Recipes
- The Best Chicken Burgers
- Chipotle Chicken Sandwich
- Healthy Burger Bowls with Special Sauce
- Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- Greek Chicken Burgers with Creamy Tzatziki
- Crispy Gluten Free Chicken Tenders
I hope you give these Avocado Turkey Burgers a try! They are so easy to make and delicious! If you do give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews and ratings help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you trust and love.Print
Avocado Turkey Burgers with Chipotle Aioli
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- 1.5 pounds ground turkey (dark meat)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 slices sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 4 brioche buns, toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced
- chipotle aioli
- bib lettuce leaves
- thinly sliced red onion
- sliced tomato
- Add the ground turkey, spices, and salt to a large mixing bowl,
- Use your fingers to gently mix everything together being careful not to over mix.
- Divide the ground turkey mixture into four 5 ounce patties that are around 3/4 inch thick 4 inches wide. Use a basting brush to brush the top of the patties with yellow mustard.
- Make the Chipotle Aioli: add the mayo, garlic, lime juice, chipotle powder, paprika, and salt to a small mixing bowl. Whisk together until well combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and then add the patties, mustard side down. Cook for 5-6 and then flip the burgers and cook for another 5-6 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. While the burgers are cooking toast your buns.
- When the burgers are fully cooked turn off the heat, add 1 slice of cheese to the top of each patty and cover the pan with a lid to help the cheese melt. The residual heat in the pan should help the cheese melt.
- Remove the patties from the pan and top with sliced avocado. Next, spread the chipotle aioli on the buns. Assemble the burgers with the rest of the toppings and then serve and enjoy!
Grilling Instructions: Grill burgers over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Start the burgers mustard side down and be sure your grill is oiled a bit to prevent sticking.
turkey burgers, turkey burgers recipe, how to make turkey burgers, how long to cook turkey burgers, how long to grill turkey burgers, how to cook turkey burgers
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Eat Love Eat