Juicy and delicious ground chicken burgers that come out perfect every single time. This fail-proof recipe is going to become a new favorite!
The Best Ground Chicken Burgers
These easy and delicious ground chicken burgers have become a weekly go-to in our house! They’re made with just a few simple ingredients, come together fast, and always hit the spot when you’re craving a burger.
If you think the only way you can enjoy a juicy burger is when it’s made with ground beef then let this ground chicken burgers change your mind. They’re full of flavor, juicy, and a leaner option when you want to switch things up.
I love to make a double batch of the burger mixture and freeze a few patties for later. Serve them on a toasty bun with all your favorite toppings!
Ingredients for Juicy Burgers
Ground Chicken: for the juiciest and most flavorful burgers I like to use ground dark meat chicken.
Spices: a simple combination of onion powder, dried parsley, paprika, dried dill, salt and pepper give these burgers so much flavor.
Yellow Mustard: to get a nice crust on those juicy burgers you’ll slather one side with yellow mustard before cooking.
Cheese: they’re are so many different options you can go with but sharp cheddar is my personal favorite.
Brioche Buns: these are my favorite buns to use for burgers! they’re soft, chewy, and have the best flavor and texture.
How to Make Homemade Chicken Burgers
Step One: Add the ground chicken, salt, and spices to a large mixing bowl
Step Two: Use your fingers to gently mix everything together being careful not to over mix.
Step Three: Divide the ground chicken mixture into four 5 ounce patties that around 3/4 inch thick 4 inches wide. Use a basting brush to brush the top of the patties with yellow mustard.
Step Four: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and then add the patties, mustard side down. Cook for 5-6 and then flip the burgers and cook for another 5-6 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step Five: When the burgers are fully cooked turn off the heat, add 1 slice of cheese to the top of each patty and cover the pan with a lid to help the cheese melt. The residual heat in the pan should help the cheese melt.
Step Six: Remove the patties from the pan and assemble your burgers on toasted brioche buns with all your favorite toppings.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
parchment or wax paper
cast iron skillet
When it comes to burger toppings the possibilities are endless! Here are a few of my favorite burger toppings and condiment if you need a little inspiration:
- thinly sliced red onion
- homemade “special sauce”
- buffalo sauce
- honey mustard
- chipotle mayo
Tips and Tricks for the Best Chicken Burgers
- Use your hands to mix the burgers and prevent over mixing. Wet your fingers to help the meat mixture from sticking.
- Place the patties on wax or parchment paper to avoid them sticking to your plate or each other.
- Avoid pressing the burgers down in the skillet while they are cooking. This will ensure you get super juicy burgers.
- Use a meat thermometer to cook the burgers perfectly and prevent over or under cooking them.
- Toast those buns! don’t forget to toast your burger buns a bit before assembling your burgers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make these burgers in the oven?
Yes! just form the patties and bake the burgers on a greased baking sheet (mustard side down) at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165.
Can you freeze chicken burgers?
Yes! I often prep a double batch of the burger patties and freeze them before cooking so that I have a quick and easy dinner or lunch option.
You can freeze the patties individually or use sheets parchment paper to separate two or three patties that have been stack on top of each other. Using the parchment paper sheets ensures that the patties don’t turn into one giant hunk of ground chicken.
Can you prep the burgers ahead of time?
Sure! you can easily cook the burgers and then reheat them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute until warmed through. If you do plan to reheat the burgers, I recommend holding off on adding the cheese until write before serving.
Can you grill the burgers?
Yes! I’ve made these burgers on the grill and they are delicious! I usually grill them over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Be sure your grill is oiled a bit to prevent sticking.
More Delicious Recipes
Healthy Burger Bowls with Special Sauce
Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets
Greek Chicken Burgers with Creamy Tzatziki
Crispy Gluten Free Chicken Tenders
I hope you give these Chicken Burgers a try! They are so easy to make and delicious!
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 1.5 pounds ground chicken (dark meat)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 brioche buns, toasted
- thinly sliced red onion
- lettuce leaves
- sliced tomato
- sliced pickles
- Add the ground chicken, salt, and spices to a large mixing bowl
- Use your fingers to gently mix everything together being careful not to over mix.
- Divide the ground chicken mixture into four 5 ounce patties that are around 3/4 inch thick and 4 inches wide. Use a basting brush to brush the top of the patties with yellow mustard.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil and then add the patties, mustard side down. Cook for 5-6 and then flip the burgers and cook for another 5-6 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When the burgers are fully cooked turn off the heat, add 1 slice of cheese to the top of each patty and cover the pan with a lid to help the cheese melt. The residual heat in the pan should help the cheese melt.
- Remove the patties from the pan and assemble your burgers on toasted brioche buns with all your favorite toppings.
Keywords: ground chicken burgers, how to make ground chicken burgers, best ground chicken burgers, homemade chicken burgers
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Eat Love Eats