The Best Greek Salad filled with fresh veggies, salty feta cheese, and just the right amount of herbs and spices. This easy salad is the perfect weeknight dinner side dish that will take just a few minutes to make. Serve it alongside your favorite protein for a delicious and filling meal.
The Best Healthy Greek Salad
This healthy Greek salad is my go-to salad when I need a quick, filling, and fresh salad to add to a meal. Traditional Greek salad, or horiatiki salad, is usually made with cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, feta cheese, and olives and is dressed with olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
This salad recipe is a take on the traditional Greek salad. It includes fresh chopped romaine lettuce and marinated artichokes as well. Because the ingredients are so flavorful, this salad doesn’t need any dressing at all but I’ve included my favorite go-to dressing that you can use to dress your salad if you like.
This recipe is naturally gluten free, vegetarian, and can easily be made dairy-free as well if you choose to leave out the feta cheese. Everyone will love it!
Love Greek Food? Here are a Few More Greek Recipes to Try and Love
Greek Salad Ingredients
Romaine Lettuce: Traditional Greek salads are actually made without any lettuce. I like to add some chopped romaine lettuce to this salad to bulk it up and get in even more greens. I find that the romaine lettuce is sturdy enough to hold up to all of the other salad ingredients.
Cucumbers: English cucumbers work the best in this salad because they have a thin, tender skin that is not bitter so it doesn’t need to be peeled. They also don’t have as many seeds. If you can’t find English cucumbers you can use traditional cucumbers. Just peel and de-seed them before using.
Green Bell Pepper: Adds the perfect crunch.
Tomatoes: Cherry or grape tomatoes work really well in this salad. Halve the tomatoes before adding them to the salad.
Kalamata Olives: You can’t have a Greek salad without good olives. The flavor of Kalamata olives works perfectly in this salad, but feel free to use your favorite type of olive if you have one. You can also use pitted olives and cut them in half if you do not want to deal with any pits.
Red Onion: Adds just the right amount of onion of flavor. Slice them thinly to you don’t end up with a huge bite of red onion.
Marinated Artichoke Hearts: These add so much flavor to the salad. I like to look for artichokes that have been marinated in water, oil, and a variety of seasonings.
Feta Cheese: Can’t have a Greek salad without delicious creamy feta. You can crumble or dice the feta cheese, your choice.
Do You Need to Dress This Salad?
This salad is packed with so much flavor that you don’t even need to add any extra dressing. When tossed together, the olives, marinated artichokes, feta cheese, salt, black pepper, and dried oregano all work together to create a super flavorful salad that really doesn’t even need any extra salad dressing.
My Go-To Greek Salad Dressing
If you just really want to add some dressing to your salad, you can do one of two things:
- Use my go-to Greek salad dressing (included in the recipe below) to lightly dress the salad. You can add as much or as little of the dressing as you want. You likely won’t need it all, which means that you will have some leftover to use on future salads. The Greek dressing is made up of red wine vinegar, fresh garlic, olive oil, and herbs and is absolutely delicious.
- If you don’t want to take the time to make the salad dressing, you can just drizzle a little high quality 0live oil over the salad instead. Be sure to use an olive oil that has a great tasting flavor because it will really shine through in this salad.
How to Make Greek Salad
Step One: Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Step Two: If you are using the Greek dressing, drizzle a little of the dressing over all of the salad ingredients. Use a large mixing spoon or salad tongs to toss the salad until well combined. Add more dressing to the salad if needed or if you are not using a dressing, add more salt, pepper, and oregano to taste.
Step Three: Serve the salad and enjoy!
More Delicious Salad Recipes to Love
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup marinated artichokes, havled
- 1/2 cup quartered English cucumbers
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
For the Optional Greek Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- If you are making the Greek dressing, add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and pulse or blend until well combined.
- If you are using the Greek dressing, drizzle a little of the dressing over all of the salad ingredients. Use a large mixing spoon or salad tongs to toss the salad until well combined. Add more dressing to the salad if needed or if you are not using a dressing, add more salt, pepper, and oregano to taste.
- Serve the salad and enjoy!
Keywords: Greek salad, easy Greek salad, Greek dressing