Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs are sweet, savory, and perfectly tender. Cooked in the slow cooker, they require minimal prep time for a no-fuss main course perfect for weeknight dinner!
The Best Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
Chicken is one of the most frequently cooked sources of protein in my house. It’s just so versatile and easy to make! While I love sheet pan, stovetop, and even air fryer options, I also love a good slow cooker recipe!
These garlic honey chicken thighs are one of my go-to recipes when I need something that will satisfy a hungry crowd. A no-fuss dish, all I have to do is whisk the sauce together and let the slow cooker do all the hard work.
Plus, covered and cooked for several hours, the chicken thighs turn out tender, juicy, and flavorful every single time. It’s virtually failproof!
Reader Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef Burrito Bowls
- Slow Cooker Cranberry BBQ Meatballs
- Healthy Slow Cooker Chili
Chicken Thighs: we’re using boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe, and you’ll need 3 pounds of them.
Coconut Aminos: a common soy-free soy sauce replacement, coconut aminos taste very similar to soy sauce but are slightly sweeter. You can find coconut aminos in the Asian section of your local grocery store, usually near the soy sauce.
Low Sugar Ketchup: this helps form the base of the sauce, creating a sweet, slightly acidic taste. Feel free to use whatever ketchup you like best.
Honey: this helps to balance out the heat of the Sriracha and creates a sweet and sticky glaze that coats the chicken. Don’t have any honey on hand? Feel free to use maple syrup instead!
Siracha: this chili sauce adds just the right amount of heat and chili flavor.
Sesame Oil: this gives the sauce a slightly nutty, Asian-inspired flavor. A little goes a long way!
Rice Vinegar: helps to add a little tang and cut through the sweetness of the sauce, creating a well-balanced blend of sweet and savory flavors.
Lime Juice: fresh lime juice adds such brightness to the sauce!
Garlic and Ginger: these add the perfect flavor to the sauce. Freshly grated is best!
Arrowroot Starch and Water: whisked together, these create a slurry to thicken the sauce.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
- Slow Cooker
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs in the Slow Cooker
Step One: Add the chicken thighs to your slow cooker, and season with salt and pepper.
Step Two: Whisk the coconut aminos, ketchup, Sriracha, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic, and ginger in a bowl until well combined.
Step Three: Pour the sauce over the chicken. Then, cover, and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Flip the thighs halfway through!
Step Four: Remove the chicken thighs from the sauce in the slow cooker. Then, whisk the arrowroot starch and water in a separate bowl until smooth. Pour the slurry mixture into the slow cooker with the sauce. Stir to combine.
Step Five: Cover the slow cooker again, and cook the sauce on high for 25 to 30 minutes or until it thickens. Next, add the chicken thighs back to the slow cooker, coat them in the sauce, and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes or until the chicken is heated through.
Step Six: Transfer the chicken and sauce to a serving dish, garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onion if desired. Serve warm!
Can I Use Chicken Breast Instead of Thighs?
Yes! While I love the juiciness of chicken thighs, chicken breast can be used instead, if you prefer. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. You will know chicken breasts are done when they’re no longer pink and their internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Side Dish Suggestions
- Steamed Veggies
- Sheet Pan Harvest Roasted Vegetables
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Lemon Broccoli
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
Store: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Let the honey garlic chicken thighs cool completely. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or sealable bag, and keep them frozen for up to 3 months.
Reheat: Thaw frozen chicken thighs in the refrigerator overnight. Then, warm them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or heat them in the microwave.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Thighs
- Sheet Pan Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- One Pan Greek Chicken with Artichokes and Olives
- Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- BBQ Chicken Wings
I hope you give these Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs a try! They are so easy to make and delicious! If you do give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews and ratings help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you trust and love.Print
Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Asian Inspired
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup low sugar ketchup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- juice of 1 lime
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons grated or crushed fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- sliced green onion, for garnish
- Add the chicken thighs to slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together coconut aminos, ketchup, honey, sriracha, sesame oil, vinegar, garlic, and ginger until well combined.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken thighs. Cook on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours or until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Flip halfway through.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the sauce in the slow cooker. Whisk together the arrowroot starch and water until well combined and then pour into the sauce. Stir together until well combined.
- Cover and cook the sauce on high for 25-30 minutes until thickened. Add the chicken thighs back to the slow cooker, coat in the sauce, and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the chicken is heated through.
- Transfer the chicken and sauce to a serving dish and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onion. Serve over rice and with veggies.
honey garlic chicken thighs slow cooker, garlic honey chicken thighs, honey garlic chicken thighs
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA