These crispy baked BBQ Chicken Wings are sweet, smoky, saucy, and a little sticky. The wings are baked until perfectly crisp and then tossed in an easy to make honey barbecue sauce. You’ll love them!
Why You’ll Love These Smoky and Sweet BBQ Chicken Wings
- They’re perfectly crispy! These wings are baked but still so crispy and delicious.
- They’re sweet, sticky, and smoky! If you’re a fan of a sweet and sticky wing with a little smokiness as well then you’ll love these wings. The combination of barbecue sauce, a little honey, and the crispy wings is just perfect.
- They’re easy to make! These wings couldn’t be easier to make. All you have to do is pop the wings in the oven to crisp, whisk together the sauce, and then toss those hot wings into the sauce.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
Chicken Wing Ingredients
Chicken Wings: This recipe uses “party” wings which are also sometimes referred to as “split” chicken wings. The wing is separated into two parts, the flat and the drum.
Spices: these wings are coated in onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, and of course salt and pepper.
Baking Powder: I’ve made these wings both with and without baking powder and both versions turn out great. But, if you want a little extra crispiness, a little baking powder does the trick!
Barbecue Sauce: use your favorite barbecue sauce for this recipe! we’re adding honey to make things a bit sweeter so I’d recommend choosing a bbq sauce on the savory side.
Honey: to sweeten things up a bit we’ll add a bit of honey to the barbecue sauce.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
Step One: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step Two: Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels and then add them to a large mixing bowl. Add the avocado oil, baking powder, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and chili powder to the wings. Toss until well coated.
Step Three: Place the seasoned chicken wings on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer but not touching. Bake the wings for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and the skin is crispy, flipping halfway through.
Step Four: While the wings are baking, heat the barbecue sauce and honey in a small saucepan over low heat.
Step Five: Once the wings are done cooking transfer them to a large mixing bowl and pour the warm honey barbecue sauce over the wing. Toss until well coated.
Step Six: Transfer the wings to a serving platter, garnish with thinly sliced green onion and serve with ranch, celery, and carrots.
Ways to Customize
- Make it spicy – if you like things on the spicier side, you can use a spicy bbq sauce or add a bit of sriracha or cayenne pepper to your sauce for a little kick!
- Leave out the honey – if you prefer your bbq sauce not too be too sweet, you can leave out the honey altogether and just use a bit of extra bbq sauce instead.
- Use a fruit-based sauce – you can really switch things up by using a fun bbq sauce that is fruit based such as blueberry or peach.
Can You Make Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings?
Yes! Cooking the wings in the air fryer gets them nice and crispy in around 20 minutes.
To make these wings in the air fryer, just toss them in the oil, spices, and baking powder until well coated. Then transfer the wings to the air fryer and cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
You can give the wings a shake or flip them halfway through to ensure that they cook evenly. After the wings are finished cooking, you’ll toss them in the barbecue sauce.
Air Fryer Method Notes
- Depending on the size of your air fryer and the amount of chicken you are cooking, you may need to make this recipe in two batches.
- If you are trying to cut down on the amount of oil you are using, you can spray the wings with a bit of spray oil instead of using half a tablespoon. I would still use a little bit of oil to ensure ultimate crispy-ness but chicken wings have a lot of natural fat so using a little less oil will still work!
How Do You Reheat BBQ Chicken Wings?
Have leftover bbq wings? No worries! These are so easy to reheat and eat again.
- Air Fryer: If you have an air fryer, you can easily pop a few wings back into the air fryer to reheat. If your air fryer has a ‘reheat’ function you can use that or just air fry them again at 400 degrees for a few minutes until heated through.
- Oven: Another great way to reheat bbq wings is in the oven. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees then place the wings on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Pop them in the oven and heat for a few minutes until hot and crispy. Once your wings are reheated you can toss them in a little more bbq sauce if you prefer.
I have found that the absolute worst way to reheat wings is in the microwave. They just do not have the same crispy-ness that you will get from an oven, air fryer, or toaster oven.
More Delicious Chicken Wing Recipes to Try
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Wings
Crispy Baked Ranch Chicken Wings
Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
Buffalo Ranch Chicken Wings
I hope you give these BBQ Chicken Wings a try! They’re absolutely delicious and so easy to make.
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 2 pounds split chicken wings
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- thinly sliced green onion, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels and then add them to a large mixing bowl. Add the avocado oil, baking powder, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and chili powder to the wings. Toss until well coated.
- Place the seasoned chicken wings on a parchment lined baking sheet in a single layer but not touching. Bake the wings for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and the skin is crispy, flipping halfway through.
- While the wings are baking, heat the barbecue sauce and honey in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Once the wings are done cooking transfer them to a large mixing bowl and pour the warm honey barbecue sauce over the wing. Toss until well coated.
- Transfer the wings to a serving platter, garnish with thinly sliced green onion and serve with ranch, celery, and carrots.
Keywords: bbq chicken wings, bbq chicken wings recipe, baked bbq chicken wings, bbq chicken wing in oven, air fryer bbq chicken wings, how to make bbq chicken wings
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Eat Love Eat