This delicious Roasted Sweet Potato Spinach Salad is full of delicious flavor. Hearty roasted sweet potato, crisp apple, and creamy goat cheese all come together in the perfect salad that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or holiday gathering.
Why You’ll Love This Roasted Sweet Potato Spinach Salad
- It’s full of fall flavor! The combination of crisp apple, dried cranberries, and crunchy pecans all work so well together with the creamy honey dijon dressing.
- It’s easy to make! Just roast some sweet potato, make the dressing, and throw the salad together.
- It’s hearty on or perfect as a side! This salad works well as a main dish or pair it with your favorite protein for an even more filling meal.
Large Sweet Potato: you’ll need one large sweet potato for this recipe. You’ll peel, dice, and roast the sweet potato before adding it to the salad.
Baby Spinach: the base of this salad is plenty of fresh baby spinach. Don’t care for spinach? You could easily swap it for mixed greens instead.
Apple: crisp pink lady apple adds a bit of crunch, sweetness, and perfect apple flavor.
Red Onion: for even more flavory we’re adding some thinly sliced red onion. Be sure to slice it thinly so that you don’t end up with huge bites of red onion in your salad.
Goat Cheese: a bit of creamy goat cheese is always a nice touch. If you prefer you can swap the goat cheese for feta or cheddar.
Dried Cranberries: these add the perfect touch of sweetness.
Candied Pecans: these add even more crunch and texture to the salad. If you don’t care for the sweetness of the candied pecans you can use plain roasted pecans, walnuts, or almonds instead.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
high powered blender
The Perfect Creamy Honey Dijon Dressing
Every good salad needs a fabulous dressing and this delicious honey dijon dressing is perfectly creamy, tangy, and a little sweet. It pairs so well with all of the salad ingredients. Here’s what you need to make it:
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Whole grain dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
How to Make This Sweet Potato Spinach Salad
Step One: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel the sweet potatoes and then dice into small chunks. Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool while you prepare the remaining salad ingredients.
Step Two: Add all of the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
Step Three: While the sweet potatoes are roasting, add the dressing ingredients to a small mixing bowl or blender. Whisk together or blend until well combined.
Step Four: Drizzle some of the salad dressing over the salad. Toss until well combined and add more dressing to suite your taste. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Make the honey dijon dressing in a high-powered blender or food processor to whip things up quickly and make the dressing nice and creamy.
- To ensure that your salad does not become soggy, I recommend waiting to add the dressing to the salad until right before serving.
- Store any leftover salad dressing in an air-tight container, like a mason jar, in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. Just be sure to give it a shake or a stir before serving.
- Out of maple syrup? Feel free to use honey instead.
- Need to make this salad dairy-free? Feel free to use your favorite non-dairy cheese alternative or replace the goat cheese with sliced or diced avocado.
- If you want to switch things up a bit, you can use roasted butternut squash instead of roasted sweet potato.
More Thanksgiving Recipes to Serve
Making this recipe for Thanksgiving? Here are few more of our reader favorite Thanksgiving recipes to add your menu this holiday season:
I hope you give this Roasted Sweet Potato and Spinach Salad a try! It’s easy to make and full of flavor!
Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews and ratings help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you trust and love.
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
For the Salad
- 7 oz baby spinach
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced pink lady apple
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup candied pecans, chopped
For the Honey Dijon Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2. tablespoons whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Roast the Sweet Potatoes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel the sweet potatoes and then dice into small chunks. Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool while you prepare the remaining salad ingredients.
- Assemble the Salad: Add all of the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Make the Dressing: While the sweet potatoes are roasting, add the dressing ingredients to a small mixing bowl or blender. Whisk together or blend until well combined.
- Drizzle some of the salad dressing over the salad. Toss until well combined and add more dressing to suite your taste. Serve and enjoy!
Keywords: roasted sweet potato spinach salad, sweet potato spinach salad, roasted sweet potato salad
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA