This Greek Yogurt French Onion Dip recipe is full of caramelized onions and garlic, fresh herbs, and is deliciously creamy. It’s the perfect appetizer or snack and is so easy to make!
The Best French Onion Dip Recipe
You’re going to love the savory taste of this homemade French onion dip! It replicates the rich flavors of French onion soup or French onion chicken but takes a fraction of the time to make.
Traditional recipes are made with a base of cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise. However, for this caramelized onion dip, I lightened things up a bit by using a combination of Greek yogurt and mayonnaise.
You get all the same creamy texture and tangy onion taste with a little less fat and an added boost of protein! It’s perfect for holidays, game days, or as an everyday snack!
French Onion Dip Ingredients
Olive Oil: a good high-quality olive oil is used to caramelize the onions and sauté the garlic.
Onions: I like to use sweet yellow onions for this recipe.
Garlic: you’ll need at least 3 cloves for this recipe. Feel free to add more if you want even more garlic flavor. Fresh cloves are best!
Greek Yogurt: I like to use full-fat whole milk yogurt in this recipe because it has the best flavor and creamiest consistency, but feel free to use low-fat or non-fat if you prefer. Just make sure you grab plain yogurt and nothing flavored!
Mayonnaise: Use a high-quality mayonnaise that you enjoy the taste of for the best results. I like to use one made from avocado oil.
Worcestershire Sauce: just a splash adds lots of depth and incredible flavor to the dip.
Fresh Herbs: last but certainly not lease are plenty of fresh chives and parsley for the perfect herb flavor and a pop of color.
Mayonnaise – not a fan of mayonnaise? Swap it out for more Greek yogurt instead.
Greek Yogurt – you could swap this for sour cream if you prefer. If you need to make a dairy free version of this dip you could use your favorite plain non-dairy Greek yogurt instead.
Add some heat – stir in some crushed red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce for a little kick of heat.
Worcestershire Sauce – if you need to ensure this dip is gluten free you can swap the Worcestershire sauce for coconut aminos instead.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make French Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt
Step One: Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the olive oil followed by the sliced onions. Cover the pan, and let the onions cook for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so until they’re golden brown. Then, add in the garlic, and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Step Two: Remove the skillet from the heat, and transfer the sautéed onions to a bowl. Set them aside to cool completely.
Step Three: Add the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, chives, and parsley to a mixing bowl. Stir until well combined and smooth.
Step Four: Gently fold in the caramelized onions, distributing them evenly. Then, transfer the caramelized onion dip to the fridge to chill before serving.
There are so many different things you can serve as dippers for this recipe, but here are a few of my favorite options:
- Tortilla Chips
- Potato Chips
- Sliced Carrots
- Celery Sticks
- Pita Chips or Pita Bread
- Naan Bread
- Slices of Toasted Baguette
Can I Make it Ahead?
Yes! Make the dip and then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 to 3 days. Be sure to give the dip a good stir before serving.
More Delicious Dip Recipes
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Whipped Feta Dip
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- The Best Smoked Salmon Dip
- Healthy 7-Layer Dip
- Creamy White Bean Dip
I hope you give this Greek yogurt French Onion Dip a try! It’s creamy, delicious, and surprisingly easy to make! If you do give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews and ratings help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you trust and love.Print
Greek Yogurt French Onion Dip
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the olive oil. Next, dd the sliced onions to the skillet and stir. Cover the pan and let the onions cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so until the onions are golden brown. Once the onions are golden, add in the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Transfer the onions from the skillet and transfer to a bowl. Let the onions come to a complete cool.
- Add the greek yogurt, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, chives, and parsley to a mixing bowl. Stir together until well combined.
- Gently fold in the cooled caramelized onions until well combined. Chill the dip before serving.
french onion dip recipe, caramelized onion dip, how to make french onion dip, homemade french onion dip, french onion dip
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA