This Chicken Fajita Bowl recipe is packed with fresh veggies, tender chicken, and the perfect blend of spices. Served with rice, lettuce, and a variety of toppings, it’s perfect for a high-protein lunch or dinner that’s even tastier than takeout!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Fajita Bowl Recipe
- High Protein – if you’ve been trying to hit your protein goals lately, then you’re going to love this recipe! It’s made with lean chicken breast and plenty of fresh veggies, for a protein packed lunch or dinner.
- Easy to customize – you can easily swap the protein, add extra veggies, and mix and match your favorite toppings to really make this recipe your own.
- Great for meal prep – this recipe is great to prepare in advance. You can prep all the ingredients and then assemble your bowls in minutes when you’re ready to eat.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
More Reader Favorite Fajita Recipes
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Chicken Burrito Bowls
Lime Juice: this helps tenderize the protein and adds a bright, citrus flavor. Freshly squeezed is best!
Seasonings: you’ll need cumin, oregano, paprika, chipotle powder, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
Chicken: I like to use thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe. It cooks quickly and takes on the flavor of the spices while remaining tender even after cooking. Thighs will also taste great if dark meat is your thing.
Bell Peppers: you’ll need three bell peppers for your fajita bowls. I like to use a combination of orange, green, and red, but you could use one color.
Red Onion: I like the flavor and pop of color red onion adds, but yellow or white onion will also work.
- Mixing Bowl
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping Board
- Cast Iron Skillet
How to Make a Chicken Fajita Bowl
Step One: whisk all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl until smooth.
Step Two: Add the chicken breast to the marinade, and sir to make sure the strips are fully coated. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
Step Three: Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add a drizzle of olive oil, and place the chicken in the skillet. Cook the chicken pieces on one side for 4 to 5 minutes or until it sears and creates a golden brown crust. Flip, and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove the chicken, and set it aside.
Step Four: Add another drizzle of oil to the skillet. Then, add the peppers and onions. Cook the veggies for 3 to 4 minutes or until they’re charred but still crisp. Add the chicken back to the pan, and toss to combine. Remove the pan from the heat.
Step Five: Serve your chicken fajita bowls as desired!
Meal Prep Tips
Want to make this chicken fajita bowl recipe ahead of time? Here are my top tips:
- Cook the chicken: Marinate and cook the chicken up to 3 to 4 days in advance, and store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Prepare the veggies: You can sauté the veggies up to 3 to 4 days in advance and keep them separate from the chicken if you prefer.
- Prepare the rice: Cook the rice, and keep it stored in the fridge to have on hand for bowls and other recipes throughout the week!
- Prepare the toppings: You can chop and prep your toppings in advance to make assembling these bowls extra easy.
When you’re ready to serve, warm the chicken, veggies, and rice in the microwave, and add all your cold toppings. The bowls will come together in just a few minutes!
Not only are these chicken fajita bowls super tasty, but they’re also incredibly versatile, too! Feel free to mix and match all your favorite ingredients and toppings.
For instance, I like to start with a base of cilantro lime rice, romaine, and black beans. Then, I add all the best toppings like:
- Avocado or guacamole
- Pico de gallo
- Greek yogurt
- Lime wedges
- Thinly sliced jalapeño
- Cotija cheese
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Greek Chicken Bowl
- Honey Chipotle Chicken Bowls
- Sheet Pan Chicken Shawarma
- Thai-Inspired Green Curry with Chicken and Vegetables
- Chipotle Chicken Salad
- Healthy Homemade Chicken Salad
I hope you give these Chicken Fajita Bowls a try! They are so easy to make, delicious, and great for meal prep! f you do give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews and ratings help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you trust and love.Print
Chicken Fajita Bowls
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican-Inspired
- Diet: Gluten Free
- ¼ cup avocado or olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper (optional)
Chicken and Veggies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 3 bell peppers (orange, green, and red), thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- cilantro lime rice
- chopped romaine
- black beans
- pico de gallo
- greek yogurt
- lime wedges
- thinly sliced jalapeño
- cotija cheese
- Make the marinade: Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients until well combined.
- Add the chicken breast to the marinade and stir to make sure the strips are fully coated. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add a drizzle of olive oil. Then, remove the chicken strips from the marinade and add to the hot skillet. Let the chicken cook on one side for 4-5 minutes without touching it, so that it sears and creates a golden brown crust. Flip and continue cooking another 3-4 minutes until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add another drizzle of oil to the skillet and then add the peppers and onions. Cook the veggies for 3-4 minutes until charred but still crisp. Add the chicken back to the pan and toss to combine. Remove from heat.
- Serve the chicken and veggies in bowls over rice and chopped romaine with black beans and all your favorite toppings.
chicken fajita bowl, fajita bowl, fajita bowl recipe, chicken fajita bowls
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Meg McKeehan