Delicious homemade guacamole that comes together quickly and is so easy to make! It’s the perfect dip or appetizer!
The Best Homemade Guacamole
There’s nothing like the classic guacamole and chips combo, am I right? My husband makes THE BEST homemade guacamole I have ever had (seriously, no restaurant compares) and I figured it was time to get his recipe on the blog.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
If you have been intimidated by the idea of making guacamole at home, then here is your sign to finally give it a try! Making incredibly flavorful and delicious guacamole at home is easier than you may think.
All you need are a ripe avocados and a few other simple ingredients to make some of the best guacamole that you have ever had. Then, once you’ve made it you can serve your guacamole with fresh veggies, tortilla chips, or on the side in burrito bowls!
Avocados: pick avocados that are relatively large and ripe for the best guacamole.
Red Onion: this adds a little “bite” and a lot of flavor. If your red onion is particularly sharp I like to rinse it under cold water to take away some of the sharpness.
Jalapeño: this is optional, but a little jalapeño really does add just the right flavor and a little heat. Be sure to de-seed the jalapeño if you don’t like spice.
Garlic: for the best flavor, be sure to use fresh garlic. It really does make all the difference!
Lime: a little fresh lime juice adds brightness and that classic lime flavor. Fresh is best here too!
Cilantro: don’t be afraid to chop up the cilantro stems as well to get all that yummy cilantro flavor!
Salt & Pepper: don’t skimp on the salt and add a little black pepper as well!
How to Pick Ripe Avocados
Great guacamole starts with perfectly ripe avocados. If the avocados are not ripe enough they’ll be hard to work with and lack flavor. If they are overly ripe then your guacamole will taste off.
If the avocado yields to firm yet gentle pressure then it’s likely ripe and ready to use. The avocado skin on a ripe avocado may also be a darker deep green or closer to black but don’t forget to give it a gentle squeeze to be sure. Unripe avocados will be firm to the touch and are usually bright green.
How to Cut an Avocado
To cut your avocado, use a sharp chef’s knife to cut around the perimeter of the avocado, lengthwise. Twist the two halves of the avocado to separate them. One half will have the avocado pit and the other half will have an empty well. Remove the pit and discard.
How to Make Homemade Guacamole
Step One: Slice, pit, and scoop the avocados into a mixing bowl. Use a fork to mash the avocados to you preferred consistency.
Step Two: Add the red onion, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, chopped cilantro, salt, and pepper to the mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
Step Three: Give the guacamole a taste and adjust the amount of salt, cilantro, lime juice, etc. to your liking if needed.
Step Four: Serve with tortilla chips!
Tips for Storing and Keeping Your Homemade Guacamole Fresh
- Use an air tight container – to keep extra air out of your guacamole be sure to use an air tight container that seals well.
- Add a thin layer of plastic wrap – before you snap on your airtight lid, place a layer of plastic wrap on top of the guac and press it down a bit so it lays flush right up against the guacamole. This will help add an extra layer of protection and prevent the guacamole from oxidizing. If you prefer not to use plastic wrap you can use a reusable sheet of beeswax food wrap.
- Layer a few lime slices – if you want to take keeping your guacamole fresh to the next level, add a few thin slices of lime to the top of the guac before adding your plastic wrap.
- Add a bit of water – I haven’t tried this trick personally, but apparently adding about a 1/2 inch of cold water to the top of the guacamole before serving can help keep it fresh and green. Be sure to drain the water off before serving!
More Delicious Dip and Appetizer Recipes
Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
Slow Cooker Cranberry Barbecue Meatballs
Easy Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower
Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip
I hope you love this Homemade Guacamole recipe! It’s easy to make and taste even better than any store bought version!
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 3 large ripe avocados
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 small jalapeño, cored and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- pinch of black pepper
- Slice, pit, and scoop the avocados into a mixing bowl. Use a fork to mash the avocados to you preferred consistency.
- Add the red onion, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, chopped cilantro, salt, and pepper to the mixing bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Give the guacamole a taste and adjust the amount of salt, cilantro, lime juice, etc. to your liking if needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips!
Keywords: homemade guacamole, homemade guacamole recipe, guacamole ingredients, how to make homemade guacamole
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Eat Love Eats