This creamy Iced Matcha Latte is my go-to way to prepare matcha. Is icy cold, sweet, creamy, and the perfect afternoon pick me up!
What is Matcha?
Matcha is a high-grade green tea that is ground into a fine powder. While traditional green tea is steeped in hot water, matcha is whisked together with hot, but not boiling water, to make a frothy drink.
What Does Matcha Taste Like?
For many, matcha can be an acquired taste but I LOVE it! It has slightly sweet, nutty, grassy taste that pairs incredibly well with almond or oat milk.
Does Matcha Contain Caffeine?
Yes! While it contains less caffeine than coffee, matcha does have some caffeine. I personally like to drink it matcha in the afternoon over coffee if I need a little pick-me up.
What is in a Matcha Latte?
Hot Water: use hot, but not boiling, water to dissolve the matcha powder before pouring it over ice.
Matcha Powder: you want to use a high quality matcha powder for the best flavor.
Vanilla Extract: this is optional but it really adds the best flavor to the latte.
Maple Syrup: for a little sweetness!
Non-Dairy Milk: any non-dairy milk will work! Almond, oat, cashew, a blend – pick your favorite!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make an Iced Matcha Latte
Step One: Add the matcha powder to a small bowl. Pour in the hot water and whisk until well combined and there are no more lumps in the matcha. Whisk in the vanilla extract and maple syrup.
Step Two: Next, fill a glass with ice and pour in the matcha mixture.
Step Three: Then add the milk to the glass and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks for the Best Homemade Matcha Latte
- Use more or less matcha powder. Depending on how you like your matcha you can one or two teaspoons of matcha powder to the hot water.
- Don’t let the water boil! Using boiling water with matcha can cause it to become bitter so you want to use hot, but not boiling, water instead.
- Use a whisk or milk frother to thoroughly mix the matcha and water before pouring it over the ice. You want to be sure there are no clumps of matcha remaining.
- Swap the maple syrup for honey if you prefer.
- Add as much or as little sweetener as you like! Feel free to make your matcha your own.
- Try adding extra flavors! I love adding a little lavender syrup to my matcha latte for a unique twist and flavor.
More Delicious Drink Recipes to Love
Strawberry Basil Lemonade
Sparkling Peach Lemonade
Iced Honey Cinnamon Latte
Pumpkin Spice Cold Brew Coffee
I hope you give this Iced Matcha Latte a try! It’s creamy, just the right amount of sweet, and so delicious!
If you do try this recipe, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings & @PlanetOat on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you love and trust.
- ¼ cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup (more or less depending on taste)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk like almond or cashew milk
- Add the matcha powder to a small bowl. Pour in the hot water and whisk until well combined and there are no more lumps in the matcha. Whisk in the vanilla extract and maple syrup.
- Fill a glass with ice and pour in the matcha mixture.
- Then add the milk to the glass and enjoy!
Keywords: iced matcha latte, iced matcha latte recipe, homemade matcha latte, homemade iced matcha, latte how to make an iced matcha latte
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Casey Colodny / THE MINDFUL HAPA