Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup! This flavorful soup is filled with tender chicken, black beans, veggies, and topped with crispy tortilla strips. It’s a healthy, delicious, and easy meal that is perfect to meal prep in advance of a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
The Best Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Let’s talk healthy chicken tortilla soup!
I am a HUGE soup fan, ok? It is usually so easy to make, can be whipped up with just one large pot, and you get leftovers that somehow magically end up tasting even better as the days go on. It’s a WIN.
This chicken tortilla soup is not only flavorful in it’s own right, but then you get to pile on all of your favorite toppings (umm…hello crispy tortilla strips!) and somehow it gets even better.
Not only is this recipe delicious it is also:
- HEALTHY – which simply means that it is made with good for you, nutrient dense, real food ingredients that will nourish your body.
- QUICK – we’re talking around 30-40 minutes which makes it the perfect solution to your weeknight dinner woes.
- COZY – ok, is there anything more cozy and comforting than a hot bowl of soup? This one just wins all the comfort food awards!
What’s In Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Boneless, skinlesss chicken thighs: you could of course use boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe but chicken thighs have more flavor and stay a bit more tender than chicken breast.
Black beans: these add in an extra punch of protein and make the soup nice and hearty.
Veggies and aromatics: yellow onions, jalapeños, and garlic create a flavorful base for this soup.
Fire roasted crushed tomatoes: fire roasted tomatoes give this soup even more flavor. If you cannot find fire-roasted crushed tomatoes feel free to use regular crushed tomatoes instead.
Chicken broth: you could use veggie broth instead of chicken broth if you are keeping this soup vegetarian.
Spices: a combination of spices like cumin, chipotle powder, dried oregano, and paprika help to give this soup it’s flavor.
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Step One: The first step in this recipe is to sear the chicken thighs. Searing the chicken helps to develop even more flavor in the soup. Be sure to liberally season the chicken with salt and pepper before searing.
Step Two: Next, you’ll remove the chicken from the pot and sauté all your veggies and the spices. Heating the spices for a moment helps to toast them and bring out even more flavor.
Step Three: Now, add the chicken back to the pot, and then pour in the crushed tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, chicken broth, and lime juice. Let the soup simmer for around thirty minutes.
Step Four: While the soup is simmering is the perfect time make the crispy tortilla strips!
Step Five: Remove the cooked chicken, use two forks to shred the meat, and then stir the chicken back into the pot. Then, pour in the full fat coconut milk, give the soup a stir, and simmer for another five minutes or so.
Step Six: Now it’s time to finish the soup! Lower the heat, stir in the chopped cilantro, and give the soup a taste and adjust the seasoning to taste. Ladle your finished soup into bowls and serve with all the toppings!
Delicious Soup Toppings and Ways to Serve
While this soup is delicious all on it’s own, the toppings make it even better. Feel free to get creative and add your favorites. Here are a few of my personal favorite recommendations:
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Cotija cheese
- Green onion
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Crispy tortilla strips
Homemade Crispy Tortilla Strips
One of the best ways to top this soup is with homemade crispy tortilla strips seasoned with lime juice and salt. While they might look a little complicated, making these crispy tortilla strips could not be easier.
Here’s how to make them:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut a few corn tortillas into thin strips.
- Spray the tortilla strips with a generous amount of non-stick cooking spray, like this one. (You could also toss them in avocado oil).
- Spread the strips out in an even layer on a sheet pan that has been lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the strips at 375 degrees for ten to twelve minutes until the strips have browned a bit and are crispy.
- While the strips are still hot, season them generously with salt and lime juice.
How to Make This Soup in the Slow Cooker
Yes! To make this soup in the slow cooker:
- Sear the chicken and sauté the veggies
- Add the chicken and veggies to the base of a slow cooker
- Add the broth, black beans, crushed tomatoes, spices, and lime juice to the slow cooker
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or until the chicken is fully cooked through and tender
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Use two forks to shred the meat and then stir the chicken back into the soup.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro before serving
Can You Freeze Chicken Tortilla Soup?
Yes! Once the soup has cooled completely, transfer it to a freezer safe storage container and place in the freezer. Once you are ready to use the frozen soup, I recommend letting it thaw in the fridge and then reheating on the stove top for the best results.
Tips, Tricks, and Frequently Asked Questions
- Want to make a vegetarian version of this soup? Leave out the chicken and instead add in an extra can of black beans plus your favorite veggies.
- This is a great base recipe to get creative with. Some of my favorite veggies to add to this soup are diced bell peppers, fresh corn (stir it in at the end), zucchini, mushrooms, baby spinach or even kale.
- This recipes calls one pound of chicken but feel free to add half a pound or a pound more if you want an even heartier soup.
- Want a creamier tortilla soup? Replace or two cups of chicken broth with full fat canned coconut milk.
- Don’t feel like making the crispy tortilla strips? Feel free to use tortilla chips instead.
More Delicious Soup and Stew Recipes You’ll Love
Salsa Verde Chicken Soup
Healthy Pumpkin Chili
Healthy Chicken Taco Soup
Healthy Slow Cooker Chili
Chicken and Corn Chowder
I hope you give this Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup a try! It’s full of flavor and so easy to make!
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on Instagram. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or ghee
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 28 oz fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4 oz green chilies
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
- Sliced green onion, for serving
- Corn tortillas
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Avocado, for serving
- Shredded cheese, for serving
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Once hot, add in a tablespoon of avocado oil or ghee.
- Liberally season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add the chicken thighs to the pot and sear the meat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove from the pot.
- Add the minced garlic, diced onion, and diced jalapeno to the pot and saute for 3-4 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cumin, paprika, dried oregano, chipotle powder, paprika, salt, and pepper to the pot and saute for an additional minute.
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes, black beans, green chilies, broth, and lime juice. Stir until well combined and then add the chicken back to the pot. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 25 – 30 minutes until the chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- While the soup is simmering make the crispy tortilla strips. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut a few corn tortillas into thin strips. Spray the tortilla strips with a generous amount of non-stick cooking spray. Spread the strips out in an even layer on a sheet pan that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake the strips at 375 degrees for ten to twelve minutes until the strips have browned a bit and are crispy. While the tortilla strips are still hot, season them generously with salt and lime juice. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, use two forks to shred the meat, and then add it back to the pot. Stir in the full fat coconut milk and let the soup simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat, stir in the chopped cilantro, and give the soup a taste. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve the soup with chopped cilantro, sliced green onion, tortilla strips, crispy tortilla strips, and cheese.
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup, healthy chicken tortilla soup, tortilla soup