This Whole30 tomato basil soup is bursting with the flavor of fresh basil and creamy without any dairy. The best part? This recipe comes together in around only 30 minutes and makes for the perfect quick and delicious weeknight dinner.
Whole30 Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato soup is one of my personal favorites. It’s a warm and cozy classic that is full of flavor and so easy to make. If you have never made homemade tomato soup, it really could not be any simpler. To make your own homemade soup all you need are a few pantry staples, fresh herbs, and aromatics. In around thirty minutes you’ll have a comforting soup made from real food ingredients that everyone will love.
This soup recipe is Whole30 compliant but I include tweaks later in this post on how to make it fit your needs. Feel free to get creative and make this recipe work for you!
Simple Ingredients for the Best Tomato Soup
One of the great things about this creamy tomato basil soup is that it’s made with just a few simple ingredients and most of them are pantry staples that you likely already have on hand.
- Olive oil
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Fresh basil
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Crushed tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Full fat coconut milk
- Balsamic vinegar
- Red pepper flakes
How to Make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Step One: First, start by heating a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once it is hot, add a tablespoon of oil to the pot and the add the diced onions and garlic. Cook the onions and garlic for five to six minutes until the onions start to become tender and translucent.
Step Two: Next, add the roasted diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes to the pot. Simmer the soup for 30 minutes for 30 minutes.
Step Three: After the soup has finished simmering, transfer it to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Then, add the fresh basil and blend again. Transfer the soup back to your pot and add in the coconut milk. Stir until well combined and then simmer the soup for ten more minutes.
Step Four: Serve the soup with more fresh basil and a drizzle of coconut milk, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Need to make this soup vegan or vegetarian? Feel free to use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Fresh garlic and fresh basil are a must for this soup. They really help bring this soup to life.
- If you have no reason to keep this recipe dairy-free, you can use half and half or even heavy cream instead of coconut milk.
- You can garnish your soup with shredded cheese or additional red pepper flakes or black pepper.
How to Store This Soup
Once the soup has completely cooled, you can store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. You an also freeze this soup for up to three months. To reheat the frozen soup, let in thaw completely in the fridge before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
What to Serve with Tomato Soup
This soup is really perfect all on its own but if you would like, you can add in some shredded chicken for an extra boost of protein. If you are not doing a round of Whole30, you can also serve this soup with a toasted buttered bread or a grilled cheese sandwich on gluten free bread.
More Delicious Soup Recipes to Love
Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup
Easy Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Whole30 Zuppa Toscana Soup
Healthy Chicken Taco Soup
Thai Red Curry Chicken Soup
Chicken and Corn Chowder
Healthy Slow Cooker Chili
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Casey Colodny / THE MINDFUL HAPA
- Heat a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté the onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes until the onions soften and become translucent.
- Next, add the fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, and balsamic vinegar to the pot and stir. Simmer the soup for 30 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered, transfer it to a blender and blend until smooth. Then, add the fresh basil and blend again. Transfer the soup back to your pot and add in the coconut milk. Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Finish the soup with more fresh basil and enjoy!
Keywords: whole30 tomato soup, homemade tomato soup, tomato basil soup, homemade tomato basil soup, whole30, tomato soup