These Vanilla Cardamom Sweet Potato Pancakes are made with a few simple ingredients and come together quickly in the blender!
The Best Sweet Potato Pancakes
These Vanilla Cardamom Sweet Potato Pancakes might be my new favorite pancake flavor.
They naturally sweetened with maple syrup and packed with delicious mashed sweet potato. Plus they have a unique combination of spices that gives them them the most delicious flavor.
Not only do they taste great, these pancakes are perfect for a quick, healthy, and filling breakfast that everyone will love.
More Reader Favorite Pancake Recipes
Healthy Sweet Potato Pancake Ingredients
Oats: we are using old-fashioned or “rolled” oats are the base of this pancake batter.
Sweet Potato: this recipe uses mashed sweet potato which gives the pancakes a beautiful color, tender texture, and delicious flavor.
Eggs: a few eggs help to bind the pancakes together.
Almond Milk: a little bit of almond milk thins the pancake batter out a bit and makes them easier to spread out in the pan.
Maple Syrup: pure maple syrup helps to give the pancakes just the right touch of sweetness.
Vanilla Extract: these pancakes have a delicious vanilla flavor thanks to vanilla extract.
Spices: we’re using a combination of cardamom, ginger, and cinnamon for the perfect flavor.
Ghee: I love using ghee to fry my pancakes because it gives them the most delicious rich buttery flavor.
Ingredient Swaps and FAQs
- Oats – If you need to be sure that these pancakes are completely gluten free, be sure to grab a bag of certified gluten free oats.
- Milk – any milk will work in these pancakes! Feel free to use oat milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, or whole milk if you prefer.
- Eggs – need to keep these egg free? you can easily swap in a flax egg or leave the eggs out altogether and add a bit more almond milk. The texture will be slightly different but still delicious.
- Sweet Potato – you can use canned sweet potato puree or homemade sweet potato mash for this recipe. Both will work well. If you want to make your mashed sweet potato from scratch, this post on how to bake sweet potatoes will give you a helpful tutorial.
- Maple Syrup – you can easily swap out the maple syrup for honey.
- Ghee – you can use any oil you like to fry your pancakes! avocado or coconut oil are great choices and butter is always an option.
- Mix-Ins: these pancakes are great as is but feel free to add in a handful of nuts or seeds to the batter!
How to Make Sweet Potato Pancakes
Step One: First, add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend on high until completely smooth. Allow the batter to rest while you heat your griddle.
Step Two: Next, heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Once hot, add a little ghee or oil to the pan.
Step Three: Next, pour one-third a cup of pancake batter onto the skillet and cook on the first side until the edges are set and bubbles begin to form throughout the batter. This should take around 2-3 minutes.
Step Four: Flip the pancake and cook on the second side for 2-4 minutes until golden brown. Repeat the process until all of the batter has been used.
Step Five: Serve the pancakes warm with plenty of maple syrup.
How to Keep Your Pancakes Warm
My favorite way to keep my pancakes warm is by using the oven!
Before making your pancakes, preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. When one batch of pancakes is done cooking, transfer them to an oven safe dish and place them in the preheated oven to keep warm.
Ways to Serve
These pancakes are delicious simply served with pure maple syrup but you can also add a few more toppings to make them even more decadent.
Here are a few other delicious topping ideas:
- nut butter like almond or cashew butter
- fruit compote or jam
- a drizzle of honey
- Greek yogurt
- whipped cream or powdered sugar if you want a little decadence
How to Freeze and Reheat Pancakes
To freeze your pancakes:
- Let the fully cooked pancakes come to a complete cool first. You don’t want to place steaming hot pancakes into a cold freezer.
- Once your pancakes are completely cool, layer the pancakes between wax or parchment paper. This helps the pancakes from sticking together and makes it easier for you to remove individual pancakes from the freezer.
- Transfer the layered pancakes to a freezer safe storage bag or container. If you are using a freezer safe bag, try to remove as much air as you can from the bag. The pancakes should be good for up to two months in the freezer
To reheat your pancakes:
- Reheat in the oven. You can wrap the pancakes in a sheet of foil and pop them in the oven at 350 degrees for around ten minutes until they are completely warmed through.
- Reheat in the microwave. If you are a little shorter on time, you can use the microwave! Place the pancakes onto a microwave safe plate in a single layer and place the frozen pancakes into your microwave and reheat for thirty seconds at a time until they completely warmed through.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Pancakes
- Blend your batter until it is completely smooth for the best results. Depending on the strength of your blender this could take thirty seconds to a minute. If you need to, you can add an extra splash of almond milk to help move things along.
- If your pancake batter is a bit thick and doesn’t spread out naturally onto your skillet or griddle, that’s ok! Just use the back of a spoon to spread the batter out a bit in the pan. This will help the pancakes not to be too thick and cook more quickly.
- Don’t crank up the heat! Cook these pancakes on low to medium-low heat to ensure that the inside is cooked through fully without the outside being burnt. Pancakes take a little patience so don’t crank up the heat. Low and slow is the way to go!
More Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love
I hope you give these Vanilla Cardamom Sweet Potato Pancakes a try! They are perfectly fluffy and delicious!
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.Print
Vanilla Cardamom Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 9 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
- 2/3 cup mashed sweet potato or sweet potato puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Avocado oil or ghee for frying
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend on high until completely smooth. Allow the batter to rest while you heat your griddle.
- Next, heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Once hot, add a little oil to the pan.
- Next, pour ⅓ a cup of pancake batter onto the skillet and cook on the first side until the edges are set and bubbles begin to form throughout the batter, around 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the pancake and cook on the second side for 2-4 minutes until golden brown. Repeat the process until all of the batter has been used.
- Serve the pancakes warm with plenty of maple syrup.
sweet potato pancakes, sweet potato pancake recipe, healthy sweet potato pancakes, how to make sweet potato pancakes
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA