- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1–15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken in half
- 1/4 cup chopped basil (plus more for garnish)
Cheese Topping for Serving
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and then add the ground beef and Italian sausage. Brown the meat, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the meat has browned, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook for a few more minutes until the onion begins to become translucent.
- Next, add the Italian seasoning, salt, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste. Stir until well combined.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, fire roasted tomatoes, chicken broth, and dried bay leaf and stir. Bring the soup to a boil and then cover and reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Cook the Noodles: While the soup is simmering, cook the lasagna noodles. Break the noodles in half before adding them to a large pot of boiling water that has been seasoned with salt. Stir them occasionally to prevent sticking. Once the noodles are al dente, drain them and let the cool a bit. Use a sharp knife to cut the lasagna noodle halves in half again. Set aside.
- Make the Cheese Topping: Add the ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses, lemon juice, chopped basil, chopped parsley, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Mix everything until well combined.
- Once the soup has finished simmering, add the sliced zucchini and simmer for a minute or so more until it is tender. The zucchini should be tender but still bright green.
- Lastly, stir in the cooked lasagna noodles and fresh basil. Ladle the soup into bowls and then top with generous spoonfuls of the cheese mixture and additional fresh basil.
Keywords: lasagna soup, healthy lasagna soup, easy lasagna soup, how to make lasagna soup, can you freeze lasagna soup, what is lasagna soup made of, what to serve with lasagna soup