This homemade peppermint mocha is the perfect drink to cozy up to during the cold winter season. Made with real food ingredients like cocoa powder and oat milk, and naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup, this delicious homemade latte is sure to be your new favorite.
The Perfect Cozy and Delicious Seasonal Drink: Homemade Peppermint Mocha Latte
Nothing screams winter or the holiday season more than a peppermint mocha! The combination of peppermint and chocolate is such a classic (hello, mint chocolate chip!) and it tastes absolutely delicious in a latte.
While most coffee shop lattes are made with a ton of refined sugar, syrups, and less than good for you ingredients, this homemade peppermint mocha is not. This homemade version uses a combination of real food ingredients to give you that delicious peppermint mocha flavor while also leaving you feeling great!
Easy Peppermint Mocha Recipe Ingredients
Strong Coffee or Espresso: if you have an espresso machine, 2 shots of your favorite espresso will do the trick or you can make half a cup of strong coffee.
Cocoa Powder: use unsweetened cocoa powder for that delicious rich chocolate flavor.
Peppermint Extract: this adds that delicious minty peppermint flavor to the latte. A little goes a long way!
Vanilla Extract: to round everything out and add delicious vanilla flavor.
Maple Syrup or Honey: to add a little extra sweetness. Fee free to adjust the amount based on your tastebuds.
Oat Milk: my milk of choice for lattes is always oat milk. It is such a creamy non-dairy milk that works really well in lattes. Of course, you can use whatever non-dairy milk you love. Almond milk would be a great choice!
How to Make a Homemade Peppermint Mocha
Making this homemade peppermint mocha is simple and easy. There are two ways you make this drink. The first one involves small sauce pan, a whisk, and just a few minutes to heat everything up. If you have a milk frother, the second option will give you that classic coffee shop look with foamed milk on top. Either way, both options will give you delicious results!
Option One: Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk together over medium heat. Once the mixture is heated through, pour it into your favorite mug, top with whipped cream (use dairy-free if you need), a little more cocoa powder, and enjoy!
Option Two: Combine all of the ingredients, except the oat milk, in a small saucepan. Whisk everything together and heat over medium heat. While the coffee mixture is heated, add the oat milk to a milk frother and froth. Once hot, pour the coffee mixture into your mug and then pour the warmed frothed milk overtop. Top with whipped cream, cocoa powder, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- As always, feel free to adjust the level of sweetness in this latte to your liking. The great thing about making your favorite coffee shop drinks at home is that you can customize them to
- If you do not have a milk frother but still want that frothy coffee shop vibe, feel free to follow option one and then transfer the warmed mixture to a high powered blender. Blend for thirty seconds and then transfer to a mug.
- If you don’t need to keep this recipe dairy-free, feel free to use your favorite dairy milk of choice.
- For the ultimate topping, add a few crushed peppermint candy pieces to the top of your latte.
More Delicious Recipes
The Best Homemade Gingerbread Latte
Pumpkin Spice Cold Brew
Healthy Hot Chocolate
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
I hope you give this Homemade Peppermint Mochaa try! It’s the perfect cozy and delicious drink to sip on all season long.
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on Instagram. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- ½ cup strong coffee or 2 shots of espresso
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract, to taste
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- ¾ cup oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Option One: Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk together over medium heat. Once the mixture is heated through, pour it into your favorite mug, top with whipped cream and a little more cocoa powder, and enjoy!
- Option Two: Combine all of the ingredients, except the milk, in a small saucepan. Whisk everything together and heat over medium heat. While the coffee mixture is heated, add the milk to a milk frother and froth. Once hot, pour the coffee mixture into your mug and then pour the warmed frothed milk overtop. Top with whipped cream, cocoa powder, and enjoy!
Keywords: dairy free peppermint mocha, peppermint mocha, vegan peppermint mocha, paleo peppermint mocha
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Casey Colodny / THE MINDFUL HAPA
Leave a comment
Thank you, Ashlea! Another delicious recipe!
Sooooo good and incredibly easy! Feels like such a fun treat at home.
Love this low fat peppermint mocha! Thank you for sharing the recipe❤️
Can’t stop making this – so simple and so delicious!
This was wonderful! So festive and so easy to make 🙂
I’m so happy you loved it, Natalie!
This is hands down one of my new favorite Christmas/cozy season drinks! It’s so warm and cozy plus it tastes like Christmas! Goes perfect with a sugar cookie on the side.
Yes! So happy you loved it, Casey!
I loved this! Simple and came out perfect. So much better than a coffee chain drink. The sweetness was subtle and not overwhelming. Now I can make this anytime and not just wait for the holiday drinks to be released.
I’m so happy you loved it, Alison! Thank you for sharing!
This peppermint mocha recipe is delicious! It’s perfect on a snowy day like today! Definitely making this on Christmas Day (might even make it into an adult version 😉)!
Yes, this sounds like the perfect snow day drink! Thank you for sharing!
This is a super delicious recipe!! Feels warm, festive and fun for the Holidays 🎄
Was curious if you have a particular milk frother you like. As I am in the market for one and would love your input.
Thanks so much!!
So happy you loved it, Lisa! I have a Nespresso Aeroncino and love it!
Love this peppermint mocha!! Made it all in the saucepan then blended it. Tastes like Christmas 🎄
So happy you love it, Courtney! Thanks for taking the time to leave a review!