This homemade pumpkin spice latte is a healthier version of everyone’s favorite fall drink. A blend of cozy pumpkin spice, your favorite dairy-free milk, and of course real pumpkin. This drink is sweetened with just a touch of maple syrup and is a much healthier alternative to the traditional coffee shop latte.
Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
All things pumpkin and pumpkin spice are the hallmark of the fall season for me. Once the air starts to become just a little more crisp in the morning and my favorite local coffee shops start to roll out their cozy pumpkin drinks, it is officially fall in my book. One of my favorite fall drinks is the classic pumpkin spice latte. It has just the right blend of cozy warming spice that is so indicative of fall.
Instead of spending five dollars a pop on your favorite fall drink, you can easily make a homemade version for pennies that tastes even better. This homemade pumpkin spice latte is made with cozy pumpkin spice, real pumpkin, your favorite non-dairy milk, and a touch of maple syrup. Not only is this drink delicious, it’s incredibly easy to make, and a much healthier alternative.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Ingredients
Strong coffee or espresso: If you have an espresso machine, you can use it to pull two shots of espresso. No espresso machine? No problem! Brew half a cup of strong coffee.
Pumpkin purée: What makes this pumpkin spice latte so delicious is the use of real pumpkin purée. Be sure to get pure pumpkin purée and not pumpkin pie filling.
Maple syrup: To sweeten things up a bit use a bit of real maple syrup. You could also use honey if you prefer.
Dairy free milk: To keep this latte dairy free, use your favorite non-dairy milk. My personal favorite is oat milk but you could also use almond milk or cashew milk.
Pumpkin pie spice: Grab a jar from your local store or make your own homemade pumpkin spice
Vanilla extract: Just a touch of vanilla extract goes a long way to bring all of the flavors of this drink together.
How to Make a Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
Making this homemade pumpkin spice latte is incredibly easy. I’m giving you two easy ways to whip up this drink to best suite your needs.
Option One: The first way to make this drink is to heat all of the ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium heat. While the drink is heating, use a whisk to stir everything together until well combined. Once the mixture is heated through, pour it into your favorite mug and enjoy.
Option Two: If you have a milk frother you can use it to froth the milk in this recipe and give you even more of that coffee shop latte feel. To make this latte using your milk frother, combine all of the ingredients, except the milk, in a small saucepan. Whisk everything together and heat over medium heat.
While the coffee mixture is heating, add the milk to your milk frother and froth. Once hot, pour the coffee mixture into your mug and then pour the warmed frothed milk overtop. Top with a little extra pumpkin spice and enjoy!
Tips, Tricks, and FAQs
- Want an iced version of this pumpkin spice latte? Use iced coffee instead instead of hot.
- Need to make an unsweetened version of this drink? Feel free to leave out the maple syrup and use an unsweetened nut milk.
- I have found that the best milks to use for this drink are almond milk, oat milk, or cashew milk.
- Want to make this drink extra frothy but don’t have a milk frother? Pour your hot drink in a high powered blender and blend on high for 30 seconds.
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love
Gluten Free Pumpkin Banana Bread
Pumpkin Spice Cold Brew Coffee
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cups
Healthy Pumpkin Chili
Gluten Free Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Bread
No Bake Pumpkin Spice Energy Bites
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Casey Colodny / THE MINDFUL HAPA
- 2 shots of espresso or ½ cup strongly brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (plus more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (plus more for the top if you would like)
- ¾ cup oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Option One: Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk together over medium heat. Once the mixture is heated through, pour it into your favorite mug and enjoy.
- Option Two: Combine all of the ingredients, except the milk, in a small saucepan. Whisk everything together and heat over medium heat. While the coffee mixture is heating, add the milk to a milk frother and froth. Once hot, pour the coffee mixture into your mug and then pour the warmed frothed milk overtop. Top with a little extra pumpkin spice and enjoy!
Keywords: homemade pumpkin spice latte, healthy pumpkin spice latte, pumpkin spice latte, dairy free pumpkin spice latte