This delicious Short Rib Ragu is easy to make and so delicious! It’s cozy comfort food meal that the entire family will love.
Why I Love This Cozy, Comforting, and Easier Than You Think Short Rib Ragu
- It really is easier than you may think – I know that short ribs can sometimes seem intimidating but trust me, they’re easier to work with than you think. Once you know a little bit about the right cut and how to cook them, you’ll want to make them all of the time.
- It’s incredibly flavorful – short ribs are packed with flavor and when you pair them with fresh herbs, tomatoes, and plenty of garlic you have a match made in heaven.
- It’s the PERFECT comfort food – slowly braised beef in a flavorful sauce served over perfectly al dente pasta sounds like the ultimate Sunday dinner comfort food to me.
What are Short Ribs?
If you have never had short ribs before, you are in for a treat! Short ribs come from the beef chuck of portion of the cow. They are shorter than traditional ribs and the meat is not as tender as steaks which makes it a great choice for cooking methods like braising.
There are two main cuts of short ribs – English style and BBQ style. English style are what you may be used to seeing and have on large bone surrounded by meat. BBQ style short ribs are cut into long strips and contain three small bones. You may also be able to find boneless short ribs at your local butcher.
Beef Short Rib Ragu Ingredients
Bone-In Short Ribs: for this recipe we are using English style short ribs which are my favorite cut for braising. I like to trim off any excess fat or connective tissue from the short ribs before using.
Veggies and Aromatics: to build a rich base of flavor in this dish we’re using a combination of onion, celery, carrots, and plenty of fresh garlic that has been smashed to release all of that flavor.
Balsamic Vinegar: the combination of balsamic vinegar and beef is like flavor heaven. We’re using a little balsamic vinegar to deglaze the bottom of the dutch oven and make sure we get up all those little bits of flavor.
Tomato Paste: this helps to give the braising liquid a deep rich flavor.
Beef Broth: I always choose a low-sodium broth so that I can control the amount of salt in the dish.
Herbs: fresh thyme and dried bay leaves help to give these short ribs so much flavor.
Crushed Tomatoes: you’ll need a large can of crushed tomatoes for this recipe.
Cheese: parmesan or pecorino romano are my top two choices!
Helpful Kitchen Tools
How to Make This Short Rib Ragu Recipe
Step One: Heat large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Step Two: Liberally season short ribs with salt and pepper. Sear short ribs 3-5 minutes per side until they develop a deep golden crust. Remove from the pot.
Step Three: Lower the heat and add balsamic vinegar to deglaze pan.
Step Four: Add carrot, celery, and onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent. Then, stir in the tomato paste until well combined.
Step Five: Add parmesan rind, crushed tomatoes, and beef broth and stir until well combined. Add the short ribs back to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and cover. Let the short ribs simmer for 2-3 hours until the meat is tender.
Step Six: Remove the short ribs from the sauce. Remove the meat from the bones and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the meat to the sauce and stir until well combined.
Step Seven: Serve the bolognese over rigatoni with shredded cheese and chopped parsley.
How to Serve
When it comes to serving, short rib ragu is actually more versatile than you may think. Here are few great bases to serve the ragu over:
- pillowy, fluffy gnocchi
- perfect al dente pasta (my favorite choices are rigatoni or pappardelle but any will work)
- creamy mashed potatoes
- spaghetti squash noodles
Can You Make This Braised Short Rib Ragu In the Slow Cooker?
Yes! This is a great recipe to make in the slow cooker as the short ribs can cook low and slow for a few hours to become perfectly tender.
To make in the slow cooker: Sear the short ribs on the stove top and then transfer to the base of your slow cooker. Then, add the veggies to the pan and sauté until they start to become tender.
Add the all of the remaining ingredients and cook on high for 4-6 hours until tender. Finish the dish by skimming any excess fat off the top, shredded the short rib meat, and returning the slow cooker. Serve your favorite way and enjoy!
How to Store and Reheat
Store: you can store the ragu right in the dutch oven or slow cooker or transfer the sauce to another air-tight container. Keep the sauce separate from whatever you are serving it over for the best results. The sauce will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat: I like to reheat the ragu on the stovetop by simmering it over medium-low heat until everything is heated through. You can of course reheat the sauce in the microwave as well. For the best flavor, make a fresh batch of pasta every time you serve.
Freeze: you can freeze the short rib ragu in a freezer safe storage container for up to 2 months. When you are ready to eat, defrost in the fridge before reheating on the stove top or in the microwave.
More Hearty Comfort Food Recipes
Creamy Braised Short Ribs
DUTCH OVEN POT ROAST
HOMEMADE CHICKEN POT PIE
HEARTY BEEF STEW
THE BEST WHOLE ROASTED CHICKEN
I hope you give this Short Rib Ragu a try! It’s hearty, comforting, and so delicious!
If you do give this recipe a try, I want to know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you know and love.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 pounds bone-in short ribs
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 6 sprigs thyme, bundled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 parmesan rind
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- rigatoni pasta, for serving
- chopped parsley, for serving
- pecorino romano, for serving
- Heat large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Liberally season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Sear short ribs 3-5 minutes per side until they develop a deep golden crust. Remove from the pot.
- Lower the heat and add balsamic vinegar to deglaze pan.
- Add carrot, celery, and onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Stir in tomato paste until well combined.
- Add parmesan rind, crushed tomatoes, and beef broth and stir until well combined. Add the short ribs back to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and cover. Let the short ribs simmer for 2-3 hours until the meat is tender.
- Remove the short ribs from the sauce. Remove the meat from the bones, discard the bones, and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the meat to the sauce and stir until well combined.
- Serve the ragu over rigatoni with grated cheese and chopped parsley.
Keywords: Short rib ragu, Short Rib Ragu recipe, Beef Short Rib Ragu, Braised Short Rib Ragu
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Eat Love Eat