- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 pounds bone-in short ribs
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 6 sprigs thyme, bundled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 parmesan rind
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- rigatoni pasta, for serving
- chopped parsley, for serving
- pecorino romano, for serving
- Heat large dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Liberally season short ribs with salt and pepper.
- Sear short ribs 3-5 minutes per side until they develop a deep golden crust. Remove from the pot.
- Lower the heat and add balsamic vinegar to deglaze pan.
- Add carrot, celery, and onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Stir in tomato paste until well combined.
- Add parmesan rind, crushed tomatoes, and beef broth and stir until well combined. Add the short ribs back to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer, and cover. Let the short ribs simmer for 2-3 hours until the meat is tender.
- Remove the short ribs from the sauce. Remove the meat from the bones, discard the bones, and use two forks to shred the meat. Return the meat to the sauce and stir until well combined.
- Serve the ragu over rigatoni with grated cheese and chopped parsley.
Keywords: Short rib ragu, Short Rib Ragu recipe, Beef Short Rib Ragu, Braised Short Rib Ragu