This Green Chili Cornbread Recipe is absolutely delicious! Homemade cornbread batter combined with Monterrey cheese, frozen corn, and green chilies. Sweet and tender with a hint of spice, it’s the perfect pairing for so many recipes.
Why You’ll Love This Green Chili Cornbread Recipe
- It’s tender and fluffy – made with Greek yogurt, this cornbread turns out fluffy, tender, cheesy, and delicious every time.
- It’s easy to make – all you have to do is whisk the ingredients together and let the oven do all the hard work. It’s virtually failproof!
- It’s full of flavor – this recipe is loaded with texture and flavor, offering hints of sweetness from fresh corn and subtle spice that I love and think you will, too.
More Reader Favorite Cornbread Recipes
- Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread with Whipped Honey Butter
- Brown Butter Honey Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins
- Herbed Brown Butter Cheddar Cornbread
- Skillet Cornbread Chili Pie
- Sweet Potato Cornbread Muffins
Green Chili Cornbread Ingredients
Flour: this recipe calls for all-purpose flour, but if you need a gluten free option I’ve included one below.
Cornmeal: regular cornmeal (sometimes called corn flour) is all you need here. If you like a little more texture in your cornbread you can use a medium grind cornmeal.
Baking Powder: this helps give the cornbread its rise. For the best results, make sure your baking powder is fresh!
Salt: this enhances the rest of the ingredients, giving the cornbread the best flavor.
Cheese: we specifically use Monterrey cheese in this recipe for an irresistibly melty and gooey consistency.
Frozen Corn: make sure it stays frozen until you add it to the batter.
Large Eggs: these give the cornbread structure, helping it hold its shape.
Greek Yogurt: I like to use plain full fat yogurt for this recipe.
Buttermilk: this is my preferred milk of choice for all of my cornbread recipes. It’s rich, tangy, and gives the cornbread the best flavor.
Green Chilies: these add a subtle hint of heat to the cornbread, taking it from good to great!
All-Purpose Flour – if you prefer, you can swap the flour with a 1:1 all-purpose gluten free flour instead.
Milk – feel free to use your favorite plant-based milk for a dairy free option.
Butter – you can use vegan butter for this recipe if you prefer.
Monterrey Cheese – I love the rich, buttery flavor and soft texture Monterrey cheese adds to this cornbread recipe, but feel free to play around with different shredded cheeses you enjoy. Sharp cheddar would be delicious.
How to Make the Best Green Chili Cornbread Recipe
Step One: Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees, and line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper.
Step Two: Add the dry ingredients (flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt) to a large mixing bowl, and whisk to combine. Then, add the shredded cheese, and stir until it’s distributed evenly.
Step Three: In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (butter, eggs, yogurt, and milk) until smooth. Next, stir in the green chilies and frozen corn.
Step Four: Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Carefully mix just until the ingredients are combined and no streaks remain. Be careful not to overmix the batter!
Step Five: Bake the cornbread for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. The center of the cornbread should be puffed up and the edges will be golden brown!
Step Six: Allow the baked green chili cornbread to cool in the pan a little bit. Then, transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. Allowing the cornbread to cool will allow all of that melty cheese to ‘set’.
Step Seven: Brush a little bit of melted butter on top of the cornbread, and slice it into 9 pieces before serving.
Can I Make This Recipe Into Muffins?
Yes! Transfer the batter to a muffin pan that has been lined with muffin liners or well-greased. Bake the muffins for 15 to 18 minutes at 400 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops of the muffins are golden brown. The tops of the muffins should bounce back if lightly pressed.
How to Store and Reheat
To store: Keep leftover cornbread tightly wrapped or in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
To freeze: Let the slices of cornbread cool completely. Then, transfer them to an airtight freezer-safe storage bag. The cornbread slices will stay fresh in the freezer for up to three months.
To reheat: when you’re ready to reheat a slice of green chili cornbread, remove it from the freezer, and let it thaw on the counter. Then, wrap individual slices in foil, and warm them in the oven at 350 degrees.
Recipes to Serve with Homemade Green Chili Cornbread
- Healthy Slow Cooker Chili
- Healthy Southwest Chicken Chili
- Black Bean Soup
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- The Best Chicken Taco Soup
I hope you give this Green Chili Cornbread a try! It’s perfectly moist and fluffy! If you do give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews and ratings help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you trust and love.Print
Green Chili Cornbread
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz Monterrey cheese
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 – 4oz can green chilies
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Then, add the shredded cheese and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the, butter, eggs, whole milk yogurt, and milk. Next, stir the green chilies and frozen corn into the wet mixture until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until everything is just combined. No need to over mix the batter.
- Pour the batter into an 9×9 pan that has been lined with parchment paper and spread out evenly in the pan.
- Bake the cornbread for around 35-45 minutes at 400 degrees or until a toothpick comes out clean. The center of the cornbread should be puffed and the edges golden brown.
- Allow the cornbread to cool in the pan for a bit before transferring it to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Brush a little melted butter on the cornbread before slicing into 9 pieces and serving.
green chili cornbread, green chili cornbread recipe, cornbread with green chilies
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA