This healthy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad is the perfect hearty and veggie-forward side dish. Crisp broccoli and cauliflower are combined with crunchy pecans, sweet yet tart dried fruit, smokey bacon, and coated in the best tangy dressing.
Why You Will Love This Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- It’s easy! All you need to do to make this recipe is essentially chop the veggies, whisk the dressing, and then toss it all together. It’s a simple recipe that you can pull together in no time.
- It’s flavor-filled! With smoky bacon, a variety of dried fruits, and crunchy chopped pecans, this salad has got you covered on the flavor front!
- It’s great for serving! If you need a great dish to bring to a cookout or potluck, this hearty salad is a great option.
The Ingredients You Need
Broccoli Florets and Cauliflower Florets: These hearty veggies make up the base of the salad!
Bacon: Crisped bacon is added to this salad for a little smoky deliciousness. The flavor works incredibly well with the veggies.
Dried Fruit: A combination fo dried cherries, cranberries, and golden raisins are used in this recipe to add a bit of sweetness.
Pecans: Chopped pecans add a bit of crunch to the salad and pair really well with the bacon and dried fruit.
Onion: A combo of green onion and red onion give this salad remarkable flavor.
A Delicious Creamy Dressing
- Mayo – this makes up the base of the dressing for the salad. Go with your favorite brand of mayonnaise that you really enjoy the taste of.
- Maple Syrup – the flavor of sweet maple syrup tastes delicious in this dressing and salad.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – a little bit of apple cider gives the dressing that classic tangy flavor.
- Salt & Pepper – a pinch of salt and plenty of fresh black pepper season the dressing. Be sure to give it a taste and adjust the seasoning to meet your tastebuds.
How to Make This Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Recipe
Step One: First, make the dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, and the pinch of salt. Stir until smooth.
Step Two: Next, in a large mixing bowl, combine the broccoli, cauliflower, cooked bacon, dried fruit, chopped pecans, red onion, and green onion. Pour the dressing over the broccoli cauliflower mixture and stir until everything is well combined.
Step Three: Serve immediately or store in the fridge for two hours before serving. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use instead of mayonnaise?
I really think that mayonnaise gives the salad dressing the best flavor but, if you do not like mayo you can use a combination of half mayonnaise and half Greek yogurt or sour cream. Or, you can use Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
Do you cook or steam the broccoli or cauliflower before making the salad?
Nope! This salad uses crisp fresh broccoli and cauliflower and serves it raw. No need to steam or cook the broccoli before hand.
How small should I cut the broccoli and cauliflower florets?
Be sure to cut the broccoli and cauliflower into bite sized pieces for the most enjoyable results. You don’t want to have huge chunks of either in the salad so aim for them to be on the smaller side.
Tips and Tricks for the Best Salad
- Wait to add the bacon until right before serving if you want it to be nice and crisp. If you do not care, you can add all of the other ingredients when making the salad.
- Let the salad sit a bit before serving. I like to let the salad sit for around 20 minutes before serving to ensure that all of the flavors have a chance to really meld.
- Don’t forget to stir the salad right before serving to ensure that the dressing fully coats all of the veggies. It’s natural for the dressing to settle in the bottom of the serving bowl. Be sure to give everything a toss before serving so that every bite has a bit of dressing.
More Delicious Salad Recipes
Watermelon Feta Salad
Italian Pasta Salad
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
BLT Past Salad
Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
For the Dressing
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of salt
- First, make the dressing. Combine the mayonnaise, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, black pepper, and the pinch of salt. Stir until smooth.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, combine the broccoli, cauliflower, cooked bacon, dried fruit, chopped pecans, red onion, and green onion. Pour the dressing over the broccoli cauliflower mixture and stir until everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for two hours before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: broccoli cauliflower salad, broccoli and cauliflower salad, broccoli cauliflower salad recipe
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: THE MINDFUL HAPA