This Sausage Breakfast Burrito recipe is made with crispy potatoes, cheesy scrambled eggs, and Tex-Mex-inspired toppings! High-protein and easy to make, these burritos are perfect to make ahead for busy mornings.
The Best Breakfast Burrito with Sausage
If you know me then you know my love for breakfast tacos runs deep and the same thing goes for breakfast burritos. I love to add these sausage breakfast burritos to my meal prep lineup when I know I’m going to have a busy week! Not only are they quick and easy to make, but they’re also full of protein, healthy fats, and carbs to help me start my day off on the right foot.
Trust me, these homemade breakfast burritos are better than any fast food version you’re going to find. They’re great to make ahead of time and can easily be customized to fit your taste buds. Mix and match your favorite protein sources and toppings, and keep them in the freezer until you’re ready to eat for a quick grab-and-go meal as you head out the door!
More High Protein Breakfast Recipes
- High Protein Frozen Yogurt Bark
- High Protein Breakfast Sandwiches
- High Protein Overnight Oats
- Yogurt Fruit Dip
Olive Oil: this recipe calls for olive oil for roasting the potatoes, but avocado oil will also work.
Russet Potato: you’ll need one small to medium potato for this recipe. I’ve tested lots of other potatoes, and Russet hands down yields the crispiest results!
Seasonings: use salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder for the best flavor on the crispy potatoes.
Tortillas: you’ll need four burrito-sized flour tortillas.
Ground Breakfast Sausage: you can use whatever breakfast sausage you prefer in this recipe. Ground turkey or chicken breakfast sausage will both work well. You can also use regular ground pork or your favorite plant-based sausage protein instead.
Large Eggs: you’ll need 6 large eggs to make this breakfast burritos recipe.
Cheese: for flavor and melty goodness, we’re using sharp Cheddar cheese.
Avocado: use one small, thinly sliced avocado, or substitute it for guacamole if that’s what you have on hand.
Pico de Gallo: use your favorite store-bought or homemade pico.
Greek Yogurt: I like to use this as a substitute for sour cream and for extra bit of protein.
Green Onion: we’re adding some thinly sliced fresh green onions for even more flavor.
Cilantro: any good burrito has plenty of fresh chopped cilantro.
Tortillas: need to keep this recipe gluten free? Use gluten free tortillas for the burritos. You can also use whole wheat flour tortillas if you prefer.
Eggs: looking to keep the fat on the lower side and add even more protein? Swap the whole eggs for egg whites instead.
Breakfast Sausage: you can use whatever protein source you prefer. Bacon, chicken, ground beef, or ground turkey would all taste great. Or, use mushrooms, plant-based meat, or leave the meat out for a vegetarian option.
Cheese: Not a fan of Cheddar? Swap it out with any other cheese you prefer such as mozzarella, Swiss, Monterrey, or shredded PepperJack.
Greek Yogurt: Not a fan of Greek yogurt? Use sour cream instead or just leave it out.
Toppings: feel free to mix and match any toppings you like best! Black beans, salsa, lettuce, red onions, and sautéed veggies, all make great additions.
How to Make This Sausage Breakfast Burritos Recipe
Step One: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees, and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Step Two: Toss the diced potatoes and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Then, transfer the potatoes to the baking sheet, and roast them for 20 to 30 minutes or until they’re golden brown and crisp. Next, transfer the crispy potatoes to a mixing bowl, and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder, tossing to coat them completely.
Step Three: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, and cook until brown and no longer pink, breaking it up into pieces. Transfer the cooked sausage to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
Step Four: Whisk the eggs, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Then, add oil to a skillet over medium or medium-high heat. Once hot, add the eggs, and scramble until they’re fluffy and cooked through. Remove the eggs from the eat, and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
Step Five: Warm the tortillas any way you like. Next, place them on a clean surface, and divide the scrambled eggs evenly, placing them in the center of each tortilla. Add the sausage, potatoes, a few thin slices of avocado, a tablespoon of pico, Greek yogurt, and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
Step Six: Carefully wrap the slides of the burrito toward the middle. Then, fold the bottom side over, and continue to roll tightly. Repeat until all the tortillas are rolled and you have four breakfast burritos!
- Don’t overfill the burritos – Be careful to place the fillings just in the center of the tortillas, leaving plenty of room around the edges. This allows for easy rolling and prevents the burritos from cracking or overflowing.
- Drain the meat – Once it is fully cooked, transfer the breakfast sausage to a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Otherwise, your breakfast burritos are likely to become soggy and oily!
- Use foil – I recommend placing your tortillas on top of a large sheet of aluminum foil, and wrapping them up as you roll. That way they’re easy to store and can be taken with you on the go.
How to Store, Freeze, and Reheat
Store: Wrap each burrito tightly with aluminum foil. They will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Once completely cooled, wrap your burritos individually with aluminum foil. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag, and keep them frozen for up to 3 months.
Oven Reheat: Thaw the burritos in the fridge overnight. In the morning, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Heat the burritos completely wrapped for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
Microwave Reheat: For a faster method, remove the foil, and warm individual burritos in the microwave for 2 to 4 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Sausage and Veggie Breakfast Quiche
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Sweet Potato and Sausage Frittata
- Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Muffins
- Easy Make Ahead Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
I hope you give these Sausage Breakfast Burritos a try! They are so easy to make, perfect for meal prep, and delicious! If you do give this recipe a try, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating below. You can also snap a photo & tag @allthehealthythings on INSTAGRAM. Your reviews and ratings help support All the Healthy Things and make it possible for me to continue to create the recipes you trust and love.Print
Sausage Breakfast Burritos
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
For the Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small to medium russet potato, small diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
For the Burritos
- 4 burrito sized tortillas
- 1/2 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper
- 4 oz extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 small avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pico de Gallo
- 1/4 tablespoon Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- olive oil or olive oil spray
- Make the potatoes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Toss the diced potatoes in a large mixing bowl with olive oil. Transfer the potatoes to the lined sheet pan and roast for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Transfer the crispy potatoes to a mixing bowl and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Make the sausage: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground breakfast sausage and cook until brown and no longer pink, breaking it up as it cooks. Transfer the sausage to paper towel plate to drain and set aside.
- Scramble the eggs: Whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper. Next, add a bit of oil to a skillet and heat over medium / medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the eggs and scramble until fluffy and just cooked through. Remove the eggs from the heat and then top the cooked eggs with shredded cheese and let melt. Transfer the eggs to a plate.
- Assemble the burritos: Warm the tortillas on a griddle/skillet/open gas flame or in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Then, place them on a clean flat surface. I like to use a sheet of aluminum foil for each burrito. Then divide the scrambled cheese eggs evenly between all of the tortillas placing them in the center, then add the cooked sausage, crispy potatoes, a few thin slices of avocado, 1 tablespoon of pico, 1 tablespoon of Greek yogurt or sour cream, and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
- Carefully wrap the sides of the burrito inward toward the middle, then fold the bottom side over, and continue to roll up tightly. Serve!
sausage breakfast burrito, breakfast burritos recipe, best breakfast burrito
Recipe by: Ashlea Carver / All the Healthy Things | Photography by: Eat Love Eat