This healthy sweet potato and sausage frittata is a hearty option for breakfast or brunch. Filled with ground sausage, roasted sweet potatoes, and fresh chopped spinach, this flavorful egg bake is sure to be everyone’s favorite. Not only is it delicious, this healthy recipe is perfect to make in advance and meal prep for the week.
The Perfect Breakfast or Brunch: Sweet Potato and Sausage Frittata
Healthy egg bakes like this sweet potato and sausage frittata are some of my very favorite breakfasts or brunch. Not only are they incredibly easy to make, egg bakes are packed with proteins, veggies, and healthy fats to keep you feeling satisfied and full until lunch.
This sweet potato and sausage frittata is made with pork sausage, delicious sweet potatoes, and fresh spinach. While it’s incredibly flavorful, this frittata is made with just a few simple ingredients that you likely already have on hand. Go ahead whip up this recipe for your next Saturday brunch or meal prep it for an easy breakfast during the week.
Ground Sausage: This recipe uses pork sausage, but feel free to use ground chicken or turkey sausage if you prefer.
Eggs: Eight whole eggs keeps this frittata packed with protein and healthy fats.
Coconut Milk: A little coconut milk helps to make the eggs nice and fluffy. If you don’t have coconut milk, feel free to use plain, unsweetened almond milk or half and half.
Spinach: Freshly chopped spinach to help you get in those veggies.
Onion: For extra flavor. Feel free to leave this out if you prefer.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes: This recipe uses roasted sweet potatoes to keep things super simple and easy. To roast your sweet potatoes, just dice them, drizzle with oil, and roast at 400 degrees for around twenty to twenty-five minutes until tender.
How to Make This Healthy Sweet Potato Frittata
Step One: First, make the egg mixture by combining the eggs, coconut milk, spices, and hot sauce. The hot sauce is optional but it adds a little extra flavor to the frittata which never hurts.
Step Two: Next, brown the ground sausage in an oven-safe, non-stick skillet. You’ll add the diced onions with the sausage so that everything cooks together and becomes nice and flavorful.
Step Three: Once the sausage is fully cooked, it’s time to add the sweet potatoes and chopped spinach. Stir until everything is well combined.
Step Four: Now, pour the egg mixture evenly over the sausage and veggies in the skillet. Transfer the frittata to a hot oven and let it bake for twenty to twenty-five minutes or until fully cooked.
Step Five: Let the frittata cool for just a moment before serving. An extra drizzle of hot sauce or buffalo sauce is always delicious!
Ways to Customize
What is great about this recipe is that you can customize it to fit your needs and tastes. It is a great way to get in extra veggies and protein at breakfast. Here are a few great ways to make this frittata your own:
- Add in more veggies! Some great options are: diced bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, asparagus, kale, arugula, or zucchini.
- Add in a little extra protein! If you like, you can add bacon to this frittata as well for a little extra protein and that delicious smoky flavor.
- Add in a little shredded cheese! This frittata recipe is naturally dairy-free but that does not mean you cannot top your frittata with your favorite cheese. Shredded sharp cheddar, goat cheese, mozzarella, or pepper jack would all be great options.
What to Serve with a Sweet Potato and Sausage Frittata
This frittata is hearty enough on it’s own, but having a few things on the side can never hurt! Here are a few great options you could serve on the side:
- sautéed spinach or kale
- roasted sweet potatoes or russet potatoes
- sliced avocado
- fresh fruit
- mixed greens
How to Store and Reheat
Once the frittata has completely cooled, store the slices in an air-tight container in the fridge for three to four days. The best way to reheat the frittata slices is in a 350 degree oven for five to ten minutes until fully warmed through. If you don’t that kind of time, you can also reheat the slices in the microwave for thirty seconds to a minute until hot.
More Breakfast Recipes to Love
Vanilla Chia Pudding
Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Egg Muffins
Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal Cups
Easy Make Ahead Hash Brown Casserole
Whole30 Roasted Breakfast Potatoes
Loaded Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 medium to large sweet potato, diced and roasted
- 3 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce or buffalo sauce
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and hot sauce until well combined.
- Heat a large oven safe non-stick skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, add the avocado oil, ground sausage, and diced onion. Brown the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is fully cooked, add the roasted sweet potatoes and chopped spinach to the skillet and stir until well combined.
- Next, evenly pour the egg mixture over the sausage and veggies. Bake the frittata for 20-25 minutes until the egg is completely set. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: sweet potato and sausage frittata, healthy sweet potato frittata, paleo sausage and sweet potato frittata