- 1 disk pie crust from my homemade all-butter pie crust recipe
For the filling
- 8 cups sliced apples, sliced 1/8 inch thick (Granny Smith and Honey Crisp)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dark brown brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the Crumb Topping
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, diced and softened
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prep the pie crust: On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough and gently place it a 9-inch pie dish. Lightly press the dough into the bottom and sides of the pie dish and then flute the edges. Place the pie crust in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the pie.
- Make crumb topping: Next, add the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and diced butter to a mixing bowl (you can use the same bowl you used to make the filling). Use your hands or a pastry cutter to work the butter into the flour and sugar until a crumb forms.
- Make the filling: Add the sliced apples, all purpose flour, brown sugar, lemon juice, half and half, lemon zest, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, and nutmeg to a large mixing bowl. Toss until everything is well combined and the apples are evenly coated. Remove the pie crust from the fridge and pour the apple filling into crust (be sure to scrape down the bowl), arranging them into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly all over the apples.
- Bake the Pie: Place the pie on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees (without removing the pie from the oven) and continue to bake for 50-55 minutes until the pie is golden brown and bubbly. If the edges of the pie crust start to become too brown you can cover them with a pie crust shield or strips of aluminum foil.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool for 3 hours before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: dutch apple pie, dutch apple pie recipe, dutch apple pie topping