- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 pounds of stew beef meat (cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 – 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Toss the stew beef meat in the arrowroot starch, salt, and pepper until completely coated.
- Heat heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat. Once hot, add in the coconut oil. When the oil has melted, add in the stew beef meat. Cook the beef for five to six minutes on each side until browned.
- Once all of the beef is brown, lower the heat and then add the balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pot. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any of the brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Next, add the garlic, onion, and herbs to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes, until the garlic, herbs, and onions become fragrant.
- Next add the veggies and stir until well combined. Lastly, add the beef broth.
- Bring the stew to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the stew simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Lastly, add the frozen peas and let simmer for another five minutes until they are warmed through. Serve and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Follow steps 1-4 from the stove top instructions above.
- Transfer the beef, garlic, onion, and herb mixture to your slow cooker. Add the veggies and broth, then stir until well combined.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or until the beef and potatoes are tender.
- When the potatoes are tender, add in the peas and stir. Let the stew cook for 10-15 more minutes until the peas are warmed through. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Keywords: stew beef, gluten free stew beef, stew beef recipe, healthy beef stew, paleo beef stew, whole30 beef stew