- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups diced sweet potatoes (roughly 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1–15 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1–15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat the avocado oil in a large heavy bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the ground beef and cook until brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Next, add the minced garlic, diced onion salt, and spices, to the ground beef and cook until the onion begins to become tender.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, beef broth, diced tomatoes, and black beans to the pot. Stir until well combined.
- Bring the chili to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Let the chili simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like green onion onion, sour cream, avocado, shredded cheddar, sliced jalapeño, and cilantro.
Keywords: sweet potato and black bean chili, sweet potato black bean chili, sweet potato black bean chili slow cooker