- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp salt (plus more to taste)
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2–4oz cans hot green chiles
- 16 oz salsa verde
- 2 15oz cans white beans
- 32 oz chicken broth
- Juice of one lime
- For garnish: lime wedges, cilantro, avocado
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- While the pot is heating, season the chicken thighs on both sides with 1 tablespoon of salt.
- When the pot is hot, add the coconut oil and then the chicken thighs. Sear the chicken thighs on both sides for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and then remove them from the pot.
- Next, add the diced onion and garlic to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes until they start to become tender.
- Next, add the cumin, oregano, bay leaves, green chilis, salsa verde, white beans, chicken broth, and lime juice. Stir until well combined and then add the chicken thighs back to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the soup simmer for 30-45 more minutes until the chicken is tender.
- Once tender, remove the chicken thighs from the pot and use two forks to shred the meat. Once shredded, remove the chicken to the soup and stir until well combined. Serve the soup with an extra squeeze of fresh lime juice, cilantro, and avocado. Enjoy!
Keywords: salsa verde chicken soup, chicken soup, salsa verde