- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (I used 93/7)
- 1 small to medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 oz mixed frozen vegetables
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes, small diced
- 2 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 32 oz beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 small bundle of thyme
- green onion, for serving
- parsley, for serving
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and then the beef to the pot. Brown the ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Add the diced onion, diced celery, and minced garlic to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, frozen vegetables, crushed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, beef broth, Italian seasoning, salt, bay leaf, and thyme to the pot. Stir until well combined.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Give the soup a taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve with a little chopped green onion and fresh parsley with a grilled cheese on the side!
Keywords: vegetable beef soup, vegetable beef soup recipe, homemade vegetable beef soup, ground beef vegetable beef soup, healthy vegetable beef soup, the best vegetable beef soup