- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 – 16oz can dark kidney beans
- 1 – 14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes (regular canned diced tomatoes will work too)
- 2 – 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add in a drizzle of oil and then add the ground beef. Brown the beef, breaking it up as it cooks and then drain any excess fat.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic and cook for four to six more minutes until the onion is tender.
- Transfer the ground beef mixture to your slow cooker. Add in the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, spices, bay leaf, and broth. Stir everything together until well combined.
- Cover and cook the chili on high for five to six hours or on low for seven to eight hours.
- When the chili is finished cooking, give it a taste and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the chili immediately garnished with your favorite toppings like sour cream, green onion, avocado, or cheddar cheese.
- Substitute ground turkey for ground beef if you prefer.
- To cook this chili on stovetop: Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Once the pot is hot, add a tablespoon of avocado or coconut oil. Add the ground beef to the pot and brown the meat, breaking it up as it cooks. Once the ground turkey is fully cooked through, add in the diced onion and garlic. Give everything a good stir and let it cook for a few minutes until the onion is tender. Next, add the kidney beans, canned tomatoes, green chiles, spices, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and broth. Stir until everything is well combined and then bring the chili to a boil. Reduce the heat and allow the chili to simmer for 30-45 minutes. After the chili has simmered, give it a taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Spoon into bowls, serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Keywords: healthy slow cooker chili, slow cooker chili, healthy chili, gluten free chili