For the Filling:
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Enchiladas
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 1/3 cups green enchilada sauce, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease 9×13 baking dish with avocado spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Once hot, add the avocado oil, diced onion, diced zucchini, and minced garlic. Sauté the garlic, onion, and zucchini in avocado oil until tender. Set aside.
- Make the Filling: Add the shredded chicken, sautéed garlic, onion, and zucchini, Greek yogurt, cheese, cilantro, enchilada sauce, cumin, oregano, lime juice, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Stir until everything is well combined.
- Assemble the Enchiladas: Pour 1/3 a cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Next,microwave the flour tortillas for 30 seconds to 1 minute, flipping halfway through, until warm and pliable. Next, pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce on a large plate. One at a time, gently dip a tortilla in the enchilada sauce until lightly coated on both sides. Scoop around 1/3 a cup of the filling into the tortilla and then gently roll up and place in the baking dish, seam side down. Repeat the process until all 8 enchiladas have been made.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and then top with the remaining shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake the enchiladas at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown and bubbly. Garnish with cilantro, diced red onion, sliced jalapeño, and lime wedges before serving. You could also add a drizzle of Greek yogurt or sour cream that has been thinned with lime juice if you like. Enjoy!
Keywords: chicken enchilada recipe, chicken enchiladas, how to make chicken enchiladas, how to cook chicken for chicken enchiladas, what to serve with chicken enchiladas