- 4 strips Whole30 compliant bacon, diced
- 1 pound Whole30 compliant Italian sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp cracked black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 4 cups diced russet potatoes
- 32 oz Whole30 compliant chicken broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 4 cups curly kale
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced bacon to a large stock pot and cook until crispy. Stirring occasionally.
- When the bacon is crispy, remove it from the pot. Drain the bacon on paper towels and then set aside.
- Remove all but two tablespoons of the bacon grease from the pot. Next add the Italian sausage to the pot. Brown the sausage and break it up as it cooks.
- When the sausage is brown, add the diced onion, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Let everything cook for a few minutes until the onions start to become tender, roughly five minutes.
- Next sprinkle the arrowroot starch over the meat mixture and stir until well combined. Then, add the diced potatoes and chicken broth and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for around 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- When the potatoes are tender, add the coconut milk and kale to the pot. Simmer until the kale is wilted. Lastly, stir in the crisped bacon and then serve immediately. Enjoy!
- My favorite Whole30 Italian Sausage is Pederson Farms. Just be sure to check the labels before purchasing.
- I used a full teaspoon of red pepper flakes in this recipe and it definitely had a kick to it! If you don’t care for spice, you can feel free to lower the amount of red pepper flakes or leave them out altogether.
- Three tablespoons of arrowroot starch gave this soup the perfect amount of thickness in my opinion, but if you want a thicker soup, you can add a tablespoon more of arrowroot starch.
- Be sure to use full-fat canned coconut milk for best results.
Keywords: Whole30 zuppa toscana, zuppa toscana soup, paleo zuppa toscana soup, healthy zuppa toscana soup