- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small to medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 – 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 – 15oz cans cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 48 oz chicken broth
- 2 parmesan rinds
- salt and pepper taste
- juice of one lemon
- 3 cups chopped tuscan kale
- shredded parmesan or pecorino Romano, for serving
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot, with a lid, over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the olive oil and chicken sausage. Cook the chicken sausage until it is no longer pink, breaking it up as it browns.
- Add the garlic, onion, and celery to the pot and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent and the garlic is fragrant. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the diced tomatoes, cannelini beans, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, chicken broth, lemon juice, and parmesan rinds to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and let the soup simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Give the soup a taste and adjust the salt and pepper to taste. Next, add the kale. Stir until well combined and let the soup simmer for a few minutes until the kale has wilted.
- Serve the soup with plenty of shredded parmesan or pecorino Romano on top.
Keywords: white bean and sausage soup, sausage kale and white bean soup, white bean sausage soup