For the Chili Layer
- 1/2 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 oz hatch green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 15 oz kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
For the Cornbread Layer
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- shredded sharp white cheddar
- sliced jalapeno
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large, deep, 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add the oil and then add the yellow onion, diced bell pepper, and garlic to the skillet. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and the veggies start to become tender.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet and brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the turkey is brown, add the the green chilies, dried oregano, paprika, cumin, and chili powder. Sauté for another minute until the spies are fragrant.
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes and kidney beans and stir until well combined. Let the chili simmer on low for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Make the cornbread layer: Add the cornmeal, gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk together until well combined. To another mixing bowl, add the melted butter, honey, buttermilk, and large egg. Whisk together until well combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently stir together until well combined.
- Pour the cornbread batter over the chili and spread out into an even layer in the skillet.
- Place the skillet into a preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees until the cornbread is cooked through and golden and the filling is bubbling around the edges. Let the cornbread pie rest for 10 minutes before serving with your favorite toppings.
Keywords: cornbread chili pie, chili pie with cornbread crust, chili cornbread skillet pie recipe, chili pie