- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/4 inch chunks
- 1/2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion, plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage or ground pork
- 1 small to medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 small to medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small to medium green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 5 oz baby spinach, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a 9×13 inch casserole dish and then drizzle with olive oil. Toss until well coated. Bake the sweet potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender and then remove from the oven.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking add the eggs, almond milk, green onion, hot sauce, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Whisk together until well combined and then fold in shredded cheese.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the sausage and brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is brown add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic. Sauté for another 3-5 minutes or until onion and bell pepper start to become tender.
- Add the baby spinach to the skillet, sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute until the spinach is wilted, and then remove from the heat.
- Give your casserole dish a light spray of olive or avocado oil to prevent sticking and then add the sausage mixture. Toss with the sweet potatoes until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the sausage and veggies. Bake the casserole at 400 degrees for 35-40 (check after 30 minutes) until the egg is completely set. Let cool and then slice into 12 pieces.
Keywords: sausage breakfast casserole, breakfast casserole with sausage, breakfast sausage casserole, sausage egg casserole