- 2 pounds butternut squash, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, cut into large pieces
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crispy bacon (4 slices), for serving
- Green onion, for serving
- Pepitas, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the squash, onion, celery, carrot, apple, and garlic on a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the olive oil over the veggies and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Roast the veggies at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the squash is fork tender, tossing halfway through.
- Once tender, transfer the veggies and one cup of the chicken broth to a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add a bit of extra broth to help things blend if needed.
- Transfer the blended veggies to a heavy bottomed pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the remaining chicken broth, coconut milk, dried thyme, fresh sage, red pepper flakes, and balsamic vinegar to the pot and stir until well combined. Heat the soup until hot and add extra salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup topped with crispy bacon, pepitas, green onion, and a fresh cracked pepper if desired. Enjoy!
- You can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth if you prefer.
Keywords: roasted butternut squash soup, butternut squash soup, squash soup